Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boss ODB-3 Vs Ibanez PD7 Phat Head

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jayb118, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Jayb118

Jayb118

Dec 6, 2005
    Isle of Wight
    Hi, i am looking for an overdrive/dist pedal for bass. The ibanez and boss look to be the best, i know that boss pedals are good because i already own the dynamic wah but i have heard great review for both pedals and the ibanez is cheaper. So i just want some more opinions. Thanks. Jay

2. The boss can be useful but it's pretty hard to shake the 'beehive' overtones. Some great noises can be had from it though and it's built like a tank. I'm selling mine, but I've shifted to the GT6B so I'm still in boss territory. Very clinical pieces of digital gear, I wouldn't go for them personally if i was playing for pick/simple tone- they just really help bring out precise clarity in your playing and give even response. The opposite of organic!

3. I'd say, judging from experience and the general opinion here, that the Ibanez and Boss are pretty far from being "the best" in bass od/dist :)

Fulltone Bassdrive, Modified Boss SD1/DS1, Modified Tubescreamers, Tech 21 XXL Bass, Tech 21 Bass Driver and maybe most notably the DOD 250 preamp/overdrive are other. perhaps better (?), examples of bass od/dist pedals.

...all in IMHO.

The DOD pedal is even cheaper than the Boss and Ibanez as well...check out the mega-thread on top of the "effects" forum.

4. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    I own the ODB and am trying to sell it. Maybe it's good for some uses, but it's definitely not the best - probably one of the worst in the market. I am going for a fulltone bassdrive based on comments here and sound samples. I also tried the ebs multi drive and it was great for some gain, but i think that the fulltone will also emulate a tube amp better.
    The odb is pretty harsh, metallic sounding, and ime it kills your tone. Of course, it's much cheaper than ebs or fulltone, but if you're on a tight budget I'd also try to test drive the behringer one. Anyway, it might be good for what you have in mind, but make sure you try it out first. When you do, try to keep the treble low. I kept it at near zero to keep the same high/low balance with my clean sound.
    good luck

5. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I know I've posted this several times -- but here's my ODB-3:

http://www.narwold.org/joep/Jungle Love (small).mp3

The ODB is engaged everywhere but the verses.

I love the ODB sound, but as far as I'm concerned, it must be run in the loop of an NS-2 Noise Supressor, in order to use the high-gain settings.

In the recording you're hearing CS-3 to Aphex Xciter to ODB, all in the NS-2's loop. Besides that, you're hearing a GK700RB head with the high-mids cranked, then pretty-much straight to the recording console.

Now I run a GK Deisel Dawg between the CS-3 and the Xciter. It's set for a fairly-light overdrive, and makes the ODB sound even better. ..But this extra gain (remember that gains in-series don't add - they multiply!) renders the remote-sensing gate is even more-mandatory. With the NS-2, though: NO noise.

Joe

6. well your talking no noise when you aren't playing aren't you? because I don't know about no noise while playing, since you have to pump out the signal with the affected tone

7. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
  8. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    PD7 is a GREAT pedal with a GREAT quality/price ratio.

9. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    I actually like my OBD-3 quite a bit. Granted, I wouldn't say it's the best, but... Compared to other fuzzes and distortions I've tried in the same price range, I'd say it's pretty good. There's nothing really subtle about it, which I guess is what drives some people off.

The onboard EQ is very nice, and can really help you shape your tone to add back lows and such when using it on high gain.

-Dash

10. foyos

foyos

Feb 10, 2006
    lisbon portugal
    i like my OBD-3 a whole lot but that's me!there's a wide range of choises!if your only interest in one of those2 go for the boss if not see the EBS and the DOD and stuff

11. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I own the ODB-3 and the Phathed. I feel the ODB-3 is better made and the Phathed has better tone and more variation in tone. That said I don't use either of them. In fact, I don't remember seeing the ODB-3 around, I may have sold it.

I also don't like the Fulltone Bassdrive, and yet many love it. Look at all the posts that say "I have it on for every song". OD/distortion is such a personal taste that if you talk to 10 bassists you will get 10 answers.

Basically you have to try them, preferably in a band situation, before making a decision.

And if you want to know what I do use. If I can only take one distortion, I take the Hao Rust Ride. If I need just a great OD, I take the Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive. And if I am playing electric Neil Young, my Torn's Peaker, preferably into a BDDI.

12. +100 :hyper: I can get all kinds of great overdriven and distorted tones out of mine and keep the bass intact...a great pedal!!! :bassist:

13. well, this i do know. if your looking for eardrum melting tone, look no further than the odb-3. this at least on a passive bass is good (like a jazz, maybe a P if u like a dub style distortion). haven't tried it on an active, sorry

14. I like the boss blues driver compared to their bass overdrive. if you can get a modded version, like Keeley's, it sounds amazing on bass.

15. I think both the Boss ODB3 and the Ibanez PD7 sound like pure junk....well, in comparison to pedals like the EH English Muff'n......

They sound like you took the original bass tone, threw it away, and replaced it with a harsh, non-linear digital distortion, that lacks any kind of dynamic touch-response, and always sounds the same..

I used to think my ODB3 was awesome, but my ears have been spoiled by true amp overdrive, and also from pedals that sound better, and more true to the signal feeding them..

I tried an Ibanez PD7 too, and thought it had a very simillar tone to the ODB3

I like RHCP's "Around The World", but that part with the ODB3 makes me cringe every time I hear it..

16. Monotheist

Monotheist Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2010
    Ottawa, Canada
  17. taurus1

taurus1

Sep 13, 2006
    Vancouver B.C.
    I've come full circle back to the ODB-3, it's simply a killer pedal that has enough control to be subtle or extreme.

18. I just recently picked up an ODB-3, and right away I started thinking of modding it. There's no overdrive, it's almost all fuzz. Great for playing Paul McCartney's bass lines in the song Think For Yourself, but otherwise it's too fuzzy. I'm thinking of the Monte Allums mods for the ODB-3.

Monte Allums Mods - Individual Pedal Mods

19. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    I agree that the ODB3 is very poor.

The PD7 is also far from the best but it's much better, and it seems like you can get them used for about $20-30 - I think that's a pretty good deal. The 3 modes allow a much wider range of sounds and the mode switches give you a lot more variety. IIRC It can go a lot cleaner than the ODB3.

Other pedals to consider in the same price range (ish):

Behringer BDI 21 (Nasty build quality, but great sound - it's a ripoff of the Tech 21 bass driver)
    Hartke bass attack - This is a great pedal.

20. What's your budget? What sort of sound are you after? Armageddon in a box? Or something a bit more tube-amp-pushed-a-little-bit-too-hard subtle?

I've never tried the Ibanez but IMO the Boss (I've still got mine) is harsh-sounding although with some messing around I can get some ok sounds. But ok is the best I've ever gotten.