1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

BOSS ODB-3: Would anyone recommend it?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ndrly, Aug 22, 2007.

1. I've already decided on the chorus effect I want (either Electro-Harmonix or BOSS). Now let's see about overdrive.

I want an overdrive pedal that can produce the following distortion types (with song examples in brackets):

Natural overdrive (Hate to Say I Told You So)
    Synth fuzz (Hysteria)
    Distortion that does lose its low end (H.)

I've seen the settings on the BOSS ODB-3. It has a two-band EQ, and you can adjust the gain, too. If the BOSS can do all the distortion types listed above, then that's all I'd really need for distortion. I was considering having the BOSS just for natural sounding overdrive and a Big Muff for fuzzy stuff. But if the BOSS can do, like, all the distortion you need for bass, then it's like, that's the only distortion you need.

Would the BOSS be a wise purchase, or would I need to invest in more than one stompbox for all the distortion effects needed on bass?

2. Soma666

Soma666

Aug 27, 2006
    hmm, dude, those example songs have such different sounds that i dont think u'll be able to get them with a boss pedal. i'd recommend a big muff and run it thru a pre-amp so u can pump the lows back into it. thats the only way i can see it working

3. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    The BOSS is anything but natural. You should be able to BS your way around for the other two sounds, but it sounds like a digital can of pissed-off bees. Not that bad sounding, exactly, just kinda weird. Try one out beforehand if you can, to see if it's what you really want.

-Dash

4. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    You can get a more natural overdrive sound out of the boss with the gain at less than 9 O'clock and the blend somewhere about half. It will also let you retain your low end. And, you can get a synthy fuzz out of it, but the sound on the muse song is made with an akai deep impact synth and a big muff, so don't expect anything else to get you precisely that sound.

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

I wouldn't recommend the ODB-3 for anyone.

6. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I own it and I'm not real happy with it. It does the typical thing by sucking out the low end. I have to fiddle with the gain and blend alot as well as the two band EQ to get a decent tone. Fortunantely I rarely use it so I haven't been in a hurry to replace it. Prior to my ODB-3 I owned an Ibanez PD-7 Bass Overdrive and I felt it was a better pedal. It sucked some bottom end as well but not as much as the Boss, and it was easier to dial in something useable. I sold it to get a Sanamp BDDI which gives me a great OD tone.

7. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    don't really like it..

used to chain it with my ds1, vl sparkle drive etc2 but the odb-3 ended up not used in most of my sessions ..

8. Blight

Blight

May 7, 2007
    I have The ODB-3 and quite love it for what I do (heavy rhythm-guitarish strumming). I will say however, that it needs to be run through a tube amp. Through a solid state it sounds too buzzy and harsh for my tastes. The tubes warm it up to a thick, lovely distortion (the name 'overdrive' is a bit misleading).

I play fingerstyle or strumming, and I've noticed that it tends to turn to a fuzzy mess when doing the former, so you might want to pick if you are going to be playing like a traditional bass player through it.

Great pedal, NEEDS tube warmth.

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I've heard that said before- if you feed the ODB-3 into a tube amp, it can sound decent. Otherwise, no.

10. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    I did like it's sound more with my tube amp, but I like most of my effects better through it.

11. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    In answer to the question...someone would recommend it. However, I am not that someone.

12. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    +1

ODB-3 = POS in my book

13. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Sold it, I did. Miss it, I do not.

14. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    Well, MAYBE I'm the guy.

I DO use that model when I have to travel light . . . but I MUCH prefer the natural OD that I get with my main rig (which is a dual setup: clean AND dirty at the same time)
    FWIW, I use the blend control barely "on", that way I don't loose low end.

But you probably should go for the Big Muff AS WELL AS the Boss unit.

15. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    +1... that was my experience with it. The same experience can be said about the MXR M-80 Bass DI's distortion channel.

Now, for certain kinds of grit (a la RHCP), it works well. But in general, I really don't like the ODB-3.

Two pedals can do the trick for your needs (a synthy fuzz pedal and a bright overdrive), but one? It's asking for a bit much...

16. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    Dont get the BOSS if you want a natural sounding overdrive , subtle it is not , however if you want ball crushing distortion then the BOSS is ideal , just not for any natural or subtle sounding

17. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Try a PD7. It's cheap (especially used) and you can get quite a few different sounds. I think there are a few going for $25 in the for sale section.

18. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    Ok. I think what we are missing is its use. I would recommend it for Muse-esque play A La Hysteria. However, to cover all of these bases(haha) I would recommend a SansAmp Bassdriver Di. I can get the range from mild to somewhat thick. Ever Chris(from Muse) uses atleast three different distortions, an ODB-3, a Bass Driver, and a Big Muff Pi, along with distortion from his Marshall Bass Amp. For what it does, I think the ODB-3 is excelent, IMHO.

19. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    I had a ODB-3 for around 9 years [and I use tube amps if anyone cares] I liked it a first but in the end really hated it, and think it is one of the reasons I stopped using FX for about two years. If you want a nasty low fi distortion then that's the ODB. At the time I got mine there weren't many choices compared to what's out there now, there are options to be had in the world of bass ODs.

20. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    B.C.... Chris Wolstenholme doesn't use the ODB-3. Or a Fulltone Bassdrive. Or a SansAmp BDDI.

The only things you're dead-on about are the Russian Big Muff and the Marshall VBA400. And that doesn't cover most of what he does - not even "Hysteria"!