Boss ODB-3

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by djk, Aug 28, 2002.

1. djk

Aug 28, 2002
    I have a Boss ODB-3 bass distortion pedal that is not working. I bought it used and it is out of warranty. I have tried both the A/C adaptor and batteries to no effect. There is no sound going through to my amp and the light does not come on. I've opened the case to see if there were any burn marks on the circuit board and there aren't. Also, all the connections seem to be in place. I don't know if it's worth repairing. Any ideas?
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Probably a fried chipset.
    Unless an electronic wizard friend of yours can fix this, it's really not worth a repair.
    You can find one for like 30 $ on eBay.

Before buying the same pedal, try the Ibanez PD-7. Way more versatility, and similar price. The DOD Classic Tube, although a guitar pedal, works very good on bass.

Better (but more expensive) overdrive pedals would be the EBS MultiDrive, Fulltone BassDrive, or Prescription Electronics Depth Charge (fuzz)
  3. djk

Aug 28, 2002
    Thanks Jazz Ad! I've thought about the Ibanez pedal, too. You think it's warmer (more tube-like) than the Boss? I'm going for a Black Sabbath-Doors-Jane's Addiction kind of overdrive sound.
  4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Actually, I've never been able to get anything interesting from the ODB-3, appart of analogic synth sounds, guitarlike metal dist or random unpleasant noise. I wouldn't recommend it. Some people seem happy with it, though.

I'm very pleased with my PD-7. It has a lot of versatility, can be very warm, you can use it as a clean boost to get a different sound setting, ...

I'm about to upgrade to a fulltone BassDrive, and the PD-7 is already sold to another guy.
  5. Any idea where i can get a manual for an ODB-3? i lost mine and can't find anyhting good when i set it, the manual presets were pretty good though, IMO
  6. djk

Aug 28, 2002
    I'll sell you my broken ODB-3 that includes the original box and manual. Just email me at and we'll negotiate a price..
  7. I don't think i'd pay money for a broken copy of a pedal i already have.
  8. Waste

Sep 16, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    I use the Old Dirty Bastard pedal and took me forever to get it sounding like anything close to what I wanted but still isn't me, it's a great signal boost for tapping and stuff like that but for Distortion I suggest ya look elsewhere.