Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boss ODB3 , MXR 80, or SansAmp. Which makes this sound??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by odie, May 29, 2003.

1. Boss ODB3

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. SansAmp DI

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. MXR 80

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  4. other

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. odie

odie Supporting Member

First off I know this debate has ragged on which is better blah, blah. But this is different.

Which effect is it that produced this kind of sound. The distorted bass ound you hear on NIN "Head like a hole".
    I know its keyboard and bass. But which peddle produces a sound similiar.

Thanx.

Oh and if anyone want to argue which to get go ahead!!

2. odie

odie Supporting Member

AH but you forgot about the ODB3. I dont think that thread represented the ODB3 very well.
    :D

Thanx for the info.

Smash which do you prefer for an overall "distortion"?

3. odie

odie Supporting Member

Good answer. I think I am leaning towards the MXR. Im not a big distortion guy either. Maybe more of a growl guy. But I do need something with that nasty NIN sound for a couple songs.

I played a Sansamp a few times and I wasnt able to find something that just "did it" for me.

The midrange on the MXR sounds very tempting. I use the midrange control on my Modulus more than the bass and treble. I like my tweaks in the mids.

But the price of the ODB3 is tempting. Especially since I can pick one up for $50.

I dont use a driver/distortion very much. But who knows it might grow on me.

Thanx SMASH. Once again you are giving good advice.

4. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Why don't you try the Gallien-Krueger Diesel Dawg pedal?IME it's kind of cross between the SansAmp(with the gain set low)and the Boss ODB3 (with the gain set a little higher).

5. Aristotle

Aristotle

May 12, 2002
    Easton, MD
    Ibanez PD-7, its the best representative, if used correctly for heavy dark bass distortion.

6. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    For that live,NIN,RATM,Korn etc. "crunch"you're looking for,the ODB does it the best IMO.I don't particularly like the sound either,but if you're trying to cop that stuff for a gig...I use the whammy pedal with the octave down,and play the line up the octave on the neck,live it sounds HUUUGGE.Roll the highs off at your bass and you eliminate the "tinny" sound.RHCP "Around the world"intro is an ODB if I'm not mistaken,I know he uses one live.

7. Methinks that song was written and recorded long before the M80 was available! ;)

It's not just the pedal that makes the noise...different pedals react differently with different basses, pickups and playing styles. Something might sound killer on a ... but super-lousy on a ...

Myself, I use an M80 (or a Rat2, depending on how I feel) for the rawky stuff, plus a SansAmp Tri-AC for other variations.

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    --good point, the tri-ac would cover that no problem. Otherwise the mxr box.