Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boss or mxr eq pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by funkedupbass, Sep 9, 2005.

1. I've decided that my distortion pedal needs an eq pedal after it in order to cut through to my liking.
    I was looking at either the mxr m-108 vs the boss bass eq. The mxr is 18v, has a gain and level adj. while the boss has 9v and a level adj.
    The mxr is 10 band @ 31.25hz 62.5hz 125hz 250hz 500hz 1khz 2khz 4khz 8khz and 16khz. The boss is 7 band @ 50hz 120 hz 400 hz 500 hz 800 hz 4.5khz 10khz.
    I know the boss is a specific bass eq, but the mxr cover a lower and higher spectrum. Was wondering what you people thought about the two pedals and which would be more benificial. Any thoughts?
    thanks,
    -eric

2. No love?
    Pros and cons, anyone?
    -eric

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Just an alternate POV:

I use an MXR80 vice a full blown EQ. It's quicker to dial in more lows (one knob).

4. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Boss EQ.

I just happen to have one selling in the For Sale Forum. (Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.)

Seriously, I haven't tried the MXR pedal, but I had no problems whatsoever with the boss pedal. The fact that all the sliders were there, makes eq curves easier as you can visually see what's going on.

18v would be a problem for me, because I have limited space for adaptors on my pedalboard, so the Boss EQ wins out on that one. I can just daisychain it from a 9V power supply. There may be an 18v adaptor, that's daisychainable, but I'm not sure on that one.

The frequencies listed on the MXR seem to be bass oriented, so I don't think you need to worry about it sounding good with bass. It really depends on how much tweaking you're doing. I'd try one out first before buying though. If you really tweak alot, there is a boss pedal that is programable and saves your settings.

If you are interested in the Boss EQ keep me in mind! ;) I'm always happy to pass a great deal on.

5. I already have a sans driver for my constant overdrive tone and the distortion is used to pick it up a notch. but the problem is the distortion doesn't sound great beacasue of the way my tone is eq tot he way that i like it. the eq pedal and the distortion pedal would basically serve as a second channel.
    -eric

6. I'd go MXR - it has True Bypass. Boss has Buffered Bypass.