1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Boss Phaser Opinions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Grapevine921, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Grapevine921

Grapevine921

Feb 8, 2011
    I'v been on the hunt for a phaser and really appreciate older Boss pedals. I played the ph-3 in a music store recently and didn't love it. I think it may have been the wave shape of the lfo. Either way I didn't want to take it home. After reading about the various boss phasers I got excited about the ph-1r and the ph-2, but I'm worried that they might sound similar enough to the ph-3 for me to dislike them.

To turn this into a question, has anyone spent some time with any of these and would like to share their thoughts?

2. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    I've tried the PH-3 and PH-1r (maybe the PH-2 too? Can't remember)

The 1r had a slight volume boost but sounded great otherwise. Different from the PH-3, though I didn't own them at the same time. The main drawback of any Boss phaser is the lack of a master volume knob, especially when used with bass

Grapevine921 likes this.
  3. triviani

triviani

Oct 23, 2010
    Ph-3 is digital.

Ph-1, ph-1r and ph-2 are analog, and they sound great. Ph-1 and ph-1r are exactly the same pedal, just the extra knob was added to control the resonance. Get this one for classic/subtle phaser sounds.
    The ph-2 is quite different and more in-your-face style of phaser, but it's also good. Get the MIJ version for the extra mojo.

Grapevine921 likes this.
  4. Grapevine921

Grapevine921

Feb 8, 2011
    Ha that's what I was thinking! Analog scruffy MIJ would definitely suit me better than new and digital. I've read that the ph-2 goes for the Leslie sound more so than the ph-1/r and I interpret that as a hypertriangle lfo opposed to a sine. Do you know if this is correct?

5. Grapevine921

Grapevine921

Feb 8, 2011
    Simple me didn't even think about a volume control.