Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boss Power Adapter?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by supernaut_1, Dec 17, 2002.

1. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Texas
    i have a boss odb-3 overdrive pedal and i have a power supply i use for it but i was wondering if i should get the boss psa power adapter that it was made for. will it make a sound difference, or for no other reason should the pedal just be used with the psa adapter?

2. Wareyin

Wareyin

Jul 13, 2002
    As long as the power adapter you have isn't causing noise problems, keep using it. Boss WANTS you to buy their adapter, so they tell you that using anything else will void the warranty, and make their adapter put out an oddball 9.6 volts. In reality, if you can use a battery that can give out anything from 8.5 to 10 volts new, then a different adapter that only gives out 9 volts will be fine. Just make sure you have the polarity right, and you'll have no problems.

3. i use many different types of power supplies on my pedals and the only problem I have found so far was my CEB-3 Chorus... that one only seems to stay quiet with the correct Boss power supply.
    Oh and definetly make sure you use the correct polarity... the wrong one could easily fry a nice new expensive pedal (my first dunlop 105Q :( ... fortunetly it was withing 30 days of purchase at GC and they took it back even after I told them I fried it :D )