1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Boss PS-3 clones?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DagoMaino, Mar 28, 2013.

1. DagoMaino

DagoMaino

Feb 1, 2013
    Are there any existing clones of the Boss PS-3? I have heard nothing but raves for pitch shifting, but they are hard to come by... Any companies cloning these?

I've heard that the line 6 M5 has pretty good pitch shifting, but the footprint is a bit much when I really only NEED the one effect. Any other pitch shifter recommendations for under a $150? ...smaller the better

2. DagoMaino

DagoMaino

Feb 1, 2013
  3. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    I have no idea. :)

4. DagoMaino

DagoMaino

Feb 1, 2013
    It looks like it was more Behringer's attempt at a PS-5...

5. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    IMO the pitch shifting in the PS-5 is pretty subpar. I owned PS-5s and dug them for their great combination of detune, delay and pitch shifting but if the latter is the only thing you want I'd find a way to fit the M5 on your board because it is much better.

The Boss is fairly glitchy but more importantly it has a metallic "chiming" to it's pitch shifting that (unlike the whammy) doesn't get covered up by dirt all that well.

Just my $0.02

As a side note I have a Morpheus Bomber that I'd sell for a lot less than $150, but of course it's not a small footprint pedal. Of course neither was the boss when I had an external expression pedal for it.

6. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    The Boss Harmonist (PS-6) does pitch shifting, and one of the guitarists in my band loves his. It's standard Boss size.

I use a Iron Ether Polytope, which sounds great and is nicely sized, although it is probably not a direct replacement for the PS-3's sounds and is not under $150 unless you get a great deal on a used one.

7. DagoMaino

DagoMaino

Feb 1, 2013
    I will probably try out the M5... for $100 and the chance that I may find some other usable features, it's worth a go. It pretty much seals my weekend plans to splitting up my board to make room, which was becoming a necessity anyway.