Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

boss rc-20 loop station or boomerang phrase sampler?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by benhardisme, Jun 17, 2004.

1. benhardisme

benhardisme

Mar 13, 2003
    US
    i just saw a video of victor wooten playin on bass day '02 and it inspired me to give looping a try. does anyone know what a good loop sampler would be, either one of these who or another one entirely? thanks! :D

2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    one of the solo bassists on the label i work for uses one of the boss ones with amazing results. check out www.sethbase.com and see what kind of stuff he does with it. Everything he does on his cd's he does live.

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I hated the Boomerang, I'd say the Boss, exclaimation point! :D

4. mike mcd

mike mcd

Dec 11, 2002
    Ask your bank account :)
    I have been very happy with the Boss, and could not justify spending any more for the Boomerang.

5. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I love the Boomerang. For live performance there is nothing as versatile and easy to use. For an example check this out

www.michaeldimin.com/spain.mov

it is about a 7.6 mb download

Mike Dimin

6. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Mike can you add loops and then subtract them one by one now? the boss adds loops, but when you hit off it's all or nothing. Also, your boomerang sounds good, is that a second, third etc. generation?

7. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Another one for the boomy

8. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    The 'rang adds loops but cannot subtract them. Each loop is added to the original signal - sucks if you make a mistake on the 3rd loop. What you get in return is that the total record time does not diminish after you record each loop.

I have 2 'rangs a version 1 that has been upgraded and a version 2. They sound pretty good. As I said, however, I prefer them for live performance. I do not think they are "studio quality". Although if you watched my video, you can hear how good it sounds. You need to be careful in setting up your gain structure to get the best sound on the 'rang.

For me the major advantage over the Boss is that you can switch back and forth between an "A" loop and a "B" loop. With the boss you have to keep going forward, you cannot go backwards.

Additionally, you cannot save loops on the 'rang which you can on the RC-20. I like the fact that I have to create every loop in realtime - no "cheating"

I have heard rumor of a new studio quality rang - ah, but it is just a rumor for now

Mike

9. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Mike hit the crux of the differences for me.

I use the Boss more for looping of samples etc when we're playing, not so much live bass looping. So the storage on off is crucial for me.

One feature of the Boss that makes this easy is the quantizing feature which you can turn on when recording, you tap the beat and when you record it'll quantize up to the end of that beat when you stop recording so it makes it easier both for recording loops and live loops.

The down side of that is that you can only set the tempo using the pedal, so it can be tricky getting the bpm's matched up between the sample and the pedal when recording from cd in etc. It would be nice to have an up/down tempo control for greater granularity.

And the switching is a bit of an issue, not the easiest I'll admit. For my current needs I'm not switching often during songs, so it's not been a problem for me but I can see it being inconvenient.

10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Heh...you could always do what I did--get one of each. :D

I bought my Boomerang used, and I am about to send it out to get it upgraded to the new software. I'd just have them send me the chip, but I am having some noise issues with the samples, so I thought it made sense to send it in to them for a refurb.

They are both great tools, and the bottom line is you need to decide whether you want the option of two different loops, or the ability to save loops.

11. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I want something where I can make a loop, add to it, add to it again, take of the third part, add, take of the third then second so I'm back to the original, etc. The only solution i've come up with is get more than a couple of looping pedals. I want to check out the version 2 headrush as well.

12. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I'd totally recommend an akai headrush- discontinued but Look around and I'm sure you can find one somewhere. I find it incredibly easy to use. Both myself and my guitarist use one- it starts to feel like your writing a concerto at times. It's also the best sounding delay I've used aside from an old roland space echo.

13. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    The Lexicon Jam Man (if you can find one)

14. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    The Gibson Echoplex will do that too, I believe.

15. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

I have and use both the Boss and the Boomerang, I also use the Line 6 delay/looper.

I mainly use the Line 6, its easy to use and low noise for live situations.

The Boomerang is great for options and loop length but too noisy when used with my rig. I still need to experiment with this problem.

The Boss I use for loading and storing loops and samples, not for on the fly looping.

I'd really like to get the Echoplex or find an old JamMan to have control of fading each separate loops.

16. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    You really have to watch the gain structure when using the 'Rang

Mike