Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boss RC-20XL-Anyone Have One Yet?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Does anyone have this newer version yet? With all the upgrades including the new "Undo" option and the ability to switch between loops with the optional footpedal, it seems like a much better deal than the Boomerang.

2. pjhandlin

pjhandlin Gold Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    anyone out there with info?

I'm interested also.

3. Samurai

Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    California
    I might be wrong but I think the boomerang can mute layers seperately however you want, which has its appeal.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    You could switch between loops with the optional footpedal on the RC-20, and I'm certain the RC-20 had 'undo' also.

AFAIK, the only difference is the increased loop time.

Yeah, the boomerang has 'layering' which is great for solo bass performance. My needs were more towards the individual loops, and retain on power off, so the boss suited me better.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The RC-20 did not have the "Undo" function. The product details at the Boss site say that, and also if you look at the pic of an RC-20 and then the RC-20XL, you notice the XL is the only one with an "Undo" function.
    RC-20 pic
    RC-20XL pic

Apparently there's also more stopping options now (three on the XL).

6. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It looks like I'm going to be picking one of these up on Tuesday, so I'll give a full review then. I've wanted a Boomerang for quite a while, but the option of saving loops is more important to me than the slightly easier operation of the Rang (the whole thing is hands-free). Also, now that I know I have the option of switching between loops with the Boss pedal, I feel pretty secure in what I want.

7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'm curious to hear what you say about this. I didn't know that there was a new version.

8. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    My wife got sick so we couldn't drive to Boston to pick one up today, but they're shipping one down so I should have my review up within a week.

9. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Got it, and I've put up a full review in this thread if anyone's interested in reading it.