1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BOSS RC-20XL Headphone sound issue

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Franko Relaxo, May 8, 2010.

1. Hey guys, I need help

Today I got a lend of a boss loop station RC-20XL. I don't have an amp at the moment and was hoping to play about with this with just my bass and a pair of headphones. I plugged my headphones into the aux input and my bass into the input. No sound.

Now I suspect that the pedal has no pre amp maybe? So i tried to link it to my boss me50b in various ways to use it's pre amp but with no joy.

My question is, do I need an amp to use this pedal? Is there any way it can be just my bass, headphones and this pedal? What in the name of god am i doing wrong? This is driving me mad, please put me out of my misery! Was sooo looking forward to playing with this:mad:

2. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    The Aux input is an 1/8" input into the pedal for MP3 players and whatnot, not a headphone output.

3. Right. Dammit, I saw headphones on it in the manual but it must have ment headphones are used with the cd player. So how would I go about hearing this through headphones without an amp??

4. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Well... I think you'll need a mixer, amp with a headphone out or a headphone amp (or something similar).

You can't just plug a male 1/4" to female 1/8" into the output because it's a mono output and the headphones are stereo. You could do this, but you'll probably only get signal to one ear.

5. I have a boss me50b. If I link the loop pedal to the me50b and put headphones into that, would that work at all??