Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boss RC-20XL Phrase Recorder (Loop Station)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by semborg, Jun 17, 2005.

1. I am very close to order one of this machines. But before I want to hear some opinions by you TBers that has experienced this pedal.

Any information is welcome.

Thank you :cool:

2. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I'm using the non-XL version as my primary looper and it is really nice. The XL adds some cool featured like Undo. That could actually get me to spring for an upgrade. The thing that I miss after having used an Echoplex Digital Pro is that on the Boss the stop/start and loop delete are just a little more tricky. I wish I could have an external momnetary switch for loop delete instead of having to stomp and hold both pedals.

But sonics, memory, friendly behavior, features... it is IMO the best bang for the buck in loopers.

3. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
    You might want to check out a Digitech loopsampler but I can't remember what it's called ( sorry ). I think it has up to 9 hours of sampling, USB, Smart Card up to 2 GB and 99 save locations.

Do a search or someone else might know what it's called :)

4. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I have one that I love!

I play in a 70's classic rock band and I have various "events" that I execute during songs like the delayed guitar slide in the chorus of "Whole Lotta Love” the two bar synthesizer line in "Saturday Night's all Right for fighting". I run the output directly into the PA to do this. I don't use my bass for this, as these events are stored in the unit's memory.

Sometimes live, I play "The Fish" by Chris Squire/Yes where I run my bass and keyboard into the unit (it has two input jacks with separate level controls) and the output through my bass amp.

I tried a Boomerang for this but the BOSS unit is cheaper and better. It has a quantize function which compensates for "human inaccuracies".

I like it for practicing to create my own loops and play along with them. (It has a basic drum machine built into it with.)

5. Sounds great.

How does the pedal effect the sound quality?
    Hiss?
    Do the recorded loops sounds good? sound quality?
    Is the unit supposed to be used on guitar or other instruments?

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Before you order, you may want to wait a month and check out the new Digitech Jamman that's coming out-it's similar to the RC-20XL but it runs on flash memory cards, so it can store up to 99 loops and you can transfer them to your PC.

7. Sounds cool, but I dont need more than 16 mins.
    And I don't think I wanna store any recordings.

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    No problem-I mentioned it because they're the same price, and I've found myself wanting more patches to store loops on my RC-20XL than the 10 provided.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Bump

Same price?

I'm getting some money in a little bit, and I'm really wanting to get a looper. I played a little with a RC-20XL... but this Digitech sounds cool. Which should I go for... is there any way someone could tell me a lists of pros and cons of either or both. :)

10. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    the new Boomerang will be out next year - I just found out some of the specs...

11. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The Jamman has the potential to store up to 99 loops, while the Boss only has 10. To do this though, you need to use flash memory cards, which are an additional expense (a 256mb one is about $50). If you already have them for a digital camera though, you're set.

The Jamman also can upload the loops directly to your PC through the memory cards. Of course, if you do any PC recording at all, you can obviously do this with any looper by recording and then just copying the loop on your recording sofware.

Other than that, they seem pretty identical. On the Boss, you can attach an FS-6 pedal and you can switch up or down through the loops hands-free. This helps in recording songs (you can make a track on one of the loop spaces, then copy it to the next two loop spaces in a row. Then play a new part on the second loop, and record it onto the third, etc. etc. This way you can go up or down adding and subtracting parts as you go). I'm not sure if the Jamman has an input for a pedal that could do the same thing.

The price is about the same.

I'm thinking about selling my RC-20XL and FS-6 in order to put money towards the new Electrix Repeater, a rack-mount unit that uses a MIDI floorboard. It's a lot more expensive, though.

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Um.....do tell! I didn't know there'd be a new one coming out. Please tell me that they improved the sound quality.

13. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    As for the RC-20xl, I just got mine in a trade. I had the older version and the new one seems to have some really nice changes. I don't know why I've been without one of these for so long. It's indispensible! I've got the Giant Steps chord changes in it right now so I can work on the tune. It'll allow me to take the loop I've made and change the tempo as I'm more comfortable with the changes.

I am however very interested to find out what will be different about the new Bommerang.

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Thanks for the reviews guys. I'll look into both a little bit more... I don't know if I really need 99 tracks... come to think of it... I might!

I'd consider the Boomerang, but I don't have that kind of scratch.

15. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I had originally thought about the Boomerang, but it doesn't allow you to save anything onto it. I also don't think it has an Undo, and I've heard claims on both sides of the fence on how it sounds.

Has a great setup for live, on the spot looping though.

16. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    It seems to be the best for real time looping.

17. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I know the Boss has a tiny bit of delay- in a real-time situation, not accounting for it can be enough to screw up your loop.

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Really? That's no fun... what about the Jamman? I could get use to the tiny bit of delay... but I don't want to.

19. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Haven't tried one yet- I will on Sunday, so I'll let you know. It's a very small difference, and after playing with one for about an hour you can usually get it right every time.

20. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I've been interested in a looper. The band wants me to take a few more solos, and it would be nice to have me back myself up while I noodle around.

I was thinking of the Gibson Echoplex Plus, but that's pretty expensive and it may be overkill for what I need. I almost got the Boomerang, but I heard too many stories about poor sound quality.

For the Boss, do I have to hold both pedals down while I improvise? If so, that really stinks. I was thinking that I would record it live, and then just run it when it was my turn to take a solo.