Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boss RC-20XL question....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dadodetres, Aug 30, 2005.

1. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    hi! ive been looping with my AX1-B for a wile now and im planning to get a more decnt looper.

i have some question about the BOOS looper...

do you set the loop time before start recording? or do you press rec and when you press stop it stops?

with the AX1-B i have x time for the loop, and that "loop time" keeps repeating, and whatever i play fits there. the problem is that i have very little time for recording, and when i start adding layers it starts to sound bad.

the problem is that in the image of the RC-20xl i cant see anywere to set the loop time...

i only see "guide" that i readed that is a metronome volume, and a tap tempo, that its for seting the tempo of guide, right?

thancks for any input!

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yes
    yes,and also the rc-20xl can use the tap tempo to auto fill up to the next beat when you hit stop. So you don't need to be 100% precise

3. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    The loop's fixed, and you have to fit your playing into it??! That's gotta suck!

With the Boss looper, you hit the record pedal and it starts to record; hit it again, and it instantly begins a seamless loop right then. Then you can overdub-away, based on the first loop that you made, until you're out of record time, which is huge.

They're very cool.

Joe

4. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    One of my loopers is like this, its not as much of a bitch as you would think. It just forces you to be creative in different ways.

Most old loopers are like this.

5. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    so i can "pre set" the loop time by recording nothing for x time?

imagine i record a 4 second loop, playing a note in each sec.

if i press rec from sec 1 to sec 2 and only play 1 note in sec 1, does it loops the 2 seconds? or does it respects the 4 second recording? and always the "1" is 2 notes and the other 3 are 1 note?

am i being clear with the explanation?

thancks!

6. if you just do a short 4 sec loop, and do 4 overdubs, it should sound fine...

7. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    whats exactly an overdub?

8. sorry dadodetres, i misread your question...
    the loop will start over at the point where you hit stop. if you record a 4 second loop with only playing the first two seconds, and hit stop, then it will only do two seconds...if you play for two seconds and then wait 2 seconds and hit stop, then you will have a four second loop. with the RC-20XL, its usually a matter of when you press the pedal to stop recording the loop and start the loop over...unless you use the tap tempo function!

9. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    hey thancks!

here are a couple more questions....

if i record a 4 sec loop, and them wabt to record something to "sum" (this is overdub?) to the loop, does the rec stops automatucally in the sec 4?

how does the "phrase select" works?

how does the quantize works?

thacks again!!

10. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Overdubs can only be upto the length of the original phrase
    It's a knob, you select the next phrase and once playback of current phrase has stopped it'll move onto next
    You select a tempo, and start recording. If you have, say, standard 4/4 time and you stop recording halfway through the 4th note of the 4th bar it'll insert a gap so that the phrase occupies four bars of four beats at the tempo you selected