Boss RC-50 Loop Station

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Muzique Fann, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
  2. IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    That's gotta be the arnie swartzawatzit of loopers :eek:

Don't have any info, but it'd be cool to own :bassist:
  3. Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    I ve ordered it last week. I can't wait!!!
  4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I will have one, soon.
  5. i wouldn't mind if it was in a rack version with a just seems like too much for a floor pedal to me...
  6. anechoic

Oct 31, 2005
    Shirley, MA
    That pretty much describes the old Electrix Repeater. I own every other unit Electrix ever made, but I will never own this one. Between the high prices these things command on the used market and Electrix's shady business practices (they've been BSing both they're dealers and the general public for over a year now about the impending return of their entire product line), I'd be much more inclined to buy a RC-50. Say what you want about Boss/Roland, at least their stuff is reliable, and even if it breaks, the company will still be around a year from now.

Ironically, most of the recent posts over in Electrix's Repeater forum have been about the RC-50.
  7. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Wow - that thing looks awesome !!!

Does anyone know when it will be avalible in Europe ?
  8. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    If I remember correctly, the musik produktiv site says February.
  9. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    One question, as I don't have any experience with loopers: Will I be able to use this as a sampler? That is, I don't think I'll use it as a looper in a band environment, but I'd like to use the usb to send some wavs to it from my computer and then have each wav to a pedal and when I step on it it will play it once and then shut up.
    Will this be, or do you expect it to be, possible with the rc-50?
  10. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    I think you would be better of with a sampler on the computer and using a foot controller or other MIDI device to trigger the samples. You would be using a device like the RC-50 to send a couple of one-shot samples via footpedal? That is probably possible but also like using a sledgehammer to sel an envelope.

All of the RC-50 hype is just that - hype. It seems like Roland/Boss has remained true to form in that they have decided that instead of adding useful features to the RC-20 series, they would cram three of them into one bigger box and call it innovation. :rollno:
  11. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Great points. I'm still anxious to see how the new Boomerang will turn out.
  12. didier

Aug 4, 2005
    I am curious as to what useful features you would like to have added? I'm not trying to be a smartass, I really want to know more about this, specifically what the shortcomings of the 20 are, are they addressed at all in the 50. Competing against the Jamman by just cramming 3 rc-20's is a start, but maybe not enough

Long ago I used to loop with a set up I patched together McGiver style. A couple of delay/samplers, tape loops, etc. I think I had up to 8 seconds :) but I could run 3 independent loops

One of the drawbacks for the rc-20, and jamman, from what little I know of them, is that while you can have multiple loops, you can't have them playing at the same time and turn them off and on while one or more others is playing. Maybe I'm wrong, but my impression is that you can build a loop, play it, build another, play that, and so on, and switch between them, but not have them going at the same time.

To do that, you need 2 or 3 or N independent pedals. which is what the rc-50 gives you, but has them linked a bit better for sync/clock, interface, etc. Is this more or less correct?

And to anyone who has one by now: Well, plese tell us about it!!

ps: I went to see Robert Fripp doing Soundscapes just a couple of nights ago. I think 4 Echoplex loopers & a couple of Eventide, along with guitar synth and all his other frippery. but forget the stuff, my gosh the music was it beautiful.
  13. erg...the rc50 is yet another looper without a feedback control! erg...that should one of the first things a looper should have!
  14. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004

what do you mean by feedback in a looper?

i used to have the rc20 XL and sold it. it is a GREAT tool, but i didnt need that much time and i have a 6 second looper in my DD-6.

i think i dont like about the 20XL or the dd6 is that it seemed the recording losed quality. i dont know when of if it digitalizes you sound or not. i know IT DOES for recording, but you CAN notce the difference of the direct signal and the looped one.
  15. think of a delay pedal, the feedback control would be similar to the regeneration control in that the regeneration control controls how many times the notes are "fed back" into the loop...basically a feedback control would allow for fading out loops, so i could start a loop in E, then have it slowly fade out for a minute, and while its doing that, start a loop in B, so the listener hears E fading into B...something like that.
  16. fretlessrock

Aug 8, 2002
    First, the RC-50 does add some great functionality to the basic RC-20XL. The MIDI sync, and simutaneous multiple loops is a big step forward. Too bad that the thing has to be a foot and a half long. It accepts program change via MIDI. That is very useful. It also is a stereo device with new audio routing options, and a dedicated Undo/Redo and Tempo switch. That is pretty nice. It also lets you use an expression pedal to control some features.

That said, it doesn't have a feedback control, no multiply/divide function or any of the other compositional tools that make the EDP so useful, and the feature they did add is .... drum roll... more drum patterns. Nice going. If it only had a karaoke mode (actually it has center-cancel).

I use a RC-20XL, so it isn't like I am stewing over something abstract. I've been using Boss/Roland gear for what seems like forever and they always seem to find a way to make their gear harder to use and with some glaring omission in the feature set.

I think that this RC-50 looks like a nice upgrade for someone looking for an all-in-one floorboard unit. But if you look at the way an EDP or a Looperlative is set up you see that this thing is basically a Fred Flintstone car at the Indy 500.
  17. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    ...for one third of the price (at least for the looperlative). Apples and oranges. The looperlative seems great, but I can't afford having a looper that actually costs more than my bass. Sure, porsches are great, but I'm driving a fiat and i'm happy with it for what it is and what it costs. I'll most probably get an RC50 if no major issues come up.
  18. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    The rc20XL had an option in which when you ereased the loop it did a fade out instead of just stop playing it.

The one thing that i think is a MUST and was mising in the looper is an aux out in which you can asign bass and/or click. So you can jamm with a drummer and other people dont necesary hear the click.
  19. fretlessrock

Aug 8, 2002
    I wouldn't try to turn you off from either of the Boss units (20XL or 50), or the new JamMan, but I think it is fair to compare them to other loopers even if the prices are higher. The RC-50 has lots of potential, and I wouldn't be stunned to find myself owning one. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't criticize or evaluate it. It is a good value, but if you are limiting your playing because of what it doesn't do, then it is not money well spent. FYI, I basically do short real-time loops and don't use the memory locations. It may as well be a DD-6 with Undo and stop/start.

My point is that these pedal units have some excellent features, but if you want to do dynamic loop arranging, they fall short. If you want to layer loops and have the initial layers fade out, they fall short. Or if you want to control the fade/feedback in real time they fall short. Strangely for Boss, the DD-20 has Feedback Control! It isn't like they don't know that it exists ;) I set memories on the DD-20 with high but not 100% feedback and use the tap tempo to set long loop times. If it had stop/start and undo I would own two and ditch the RC.

I make concessions to the RC-20XL shortcomings. There are techniques that I can't use because the unit doesn't support them. On the EDP I would crank up the feedback to get the backing part lower, then put it back to 100% to preserve the whole loop, all with an expression pedal. Impossible with either the Boss or Digitech units. If I could somehow put the RC-20XL and the DD-20 into the blender and get them both in one box, it would be pretty amazing. I have owned a long list of loopers and know what I liked and didn't like about them.

I understand the comparison of your bass' value to the cost of a looper, I just don't agree with it. In fact, I would take a cheaper bass if it meant affording the looper/amp/effect/widget that gave me what I needed to make the music I needed to make. Heck, You could be happy with an SX or a sleeper like the Peavey G Bass (I just sold one, very nice).

I also don't agree that it is apples/oranges based on price. Even if you don't buy one or can't afford one it is useful to compare features and performance. The Looperlative is a (currently) small production unit in its early stages. Like the RC-50 it has multiple independent/sync-unsync loops, and is fully stereo. If the EDP was still being made it would be the closest thing to it. The RC-50 is about the only thing that has a similar feature set to the Looperlative, so I think the comparison is apt. Bob Amstadt doesn't have to design to a low price point or lowest common denominator feature sets. He sold out his first run well ahead of delivery. Nuff said. Not only do you get a massive and flexible feature set, but his support/service is outstanding, and the ability to customize the firmware is central to the design.

But like I said, these Boss and Digitech units are great bang for the buck. Loop On! (sorry for lengthy post, Homer sleep now)
  20. it did fade out? would you care to elaborate?