Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boss RV-5 reverb - any users?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MD, Dec 30, 2005.

1. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Hay Guys/Gals,

Is any one here using the Boss RV-5 reverb pedal? I'd be very interested in hearing any thoughts on this unit. The Boss RRV-10 I've been running for the past 15 years or so is nice, but I'm looking for a quick on/off pedal for the occational solo.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

M.

2. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    use it occasionally.

All the verbs are good but the modulate is IMO especially nice.
    Here's a demo of the modulate setting:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2588873&postcount=14

It's basically the mechanical plate verb with a hint of chorus....

BTW if you get it, try tapping with the gate verb. It sounds crazy :D

3. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    I had an RV3 and intended to upgrade to the RV5. I was suprised to find the basic tone sounded very similar. I bought an EH Holy Grail instead, I much prefer the tone. It can be a bit hissy, and I usually hate things that hiss, but I honestly find I like the reverb enough that I don't notice it. YMMV so give one a spin before buying if you can.

4. skunkrawk

skunkrawk

Apr 25, 2003
    DC
    I've read that some people prefer the Digitech Digiverb to the Boss RV-5, especially because of the cool reverse reverb effect.

5. I played the Holy Grail once and noticed that the definition gave out on the lower end notes (and this is on a 4 string- the E string and even some of the A). Do you find this the same situation in your case?

6. I don't use it a great deal, and when I do I combine it with a delay to add a bit more atmosphere to the delay.

^ that is a really cool effect.

The modulate function is quite a nice effect too but I haven't yet found a use for it, because I've already got a chorus.

7. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada

BTW I changed my name from IcedEarthWOM....

8. Oh yer.... ooops, I hadn't noticed the original post was that old.

9. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Thats :cool: , even I am surprised at how long it's been!

10. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Bumping this old thread just to say that I've found a use for the modulate verb, even if you have a chorus (depending on which one, of course). I have the CEB-3 set to give a slow mechanical swoosh (depth = max, rate = 12 o'clock), especially with distortion. Setting the filter to 3 o'clock really unmuddies it. Set the E.Level to how high you want the swoosh in the mix (mine's at 12). This way I can use the RV-5 as a verb/chorus, even though I still have a chorus. They sound really haunting together.

11. ryla

ryla

Jun 17, 2004
    auckland new zealand
    the lexicon mx200 reverb and multi effects rack unit (foot switchable) has the best reverbs ive heard, forget hall, supersize me to 'arena'!