1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Boss SYB-3 in action!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by chaosMK, Apr 1, 2006.

1. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I used the Boss SYB-3 "bass synth" in a song, with Wah. It sounds pretty sick-

Around 1:10 in "take what you need"
    www.myspace.com/leftbrainmusic

This is a momentous moment for the SYB-3 because it's the first time in history it was ever used for anything good.

2. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Yo. I use an SYB-5, kind of the later version of the SYB-3. Most people hate these pedals. After some serious tweaking and knob twisting, I've come to dig mine. It works in the right situations. I only use mine sparingly, but I find that it really shines in a dub reggae setting. I was curious. I'm also thinking about getting a wah to attach to it. What did the wah do for you? What part of the pedal did it alter?

3. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    :D

4. I tried one of these today, as well as an EHX bass microsynth and an Ashdown envelope filter (which was like a more subtle Qtron in sound btw).

I really found that the only usable sound was the last mode, the envelope filter. All the synths were harsh to my ears and lacking in ooomph. The EHX bass microsynth on the other hand was great, loads of cool and useable tones to be had and loads of scope to experiment. Shame about the price, way out of my league.

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

I've been thinking of getting a SYB-3 or 5 for the Hold function only.
    I use a lot of pedal notes in my playing.
    I always found my way with a short sampler and detuned strings/capos but I think it could be practical when there are multiple chord changes.
    I don't have the dough for a midi footboard or taurus.
    Does any of you use one for this purpose ?

6. I use a SYB-5 hooked up to an expression pedal and distortion at the end of our song called 'Release' (http://www.myspace.com/silverelectric). I currently use it on two songs. Not for particularly long on either.

I've tried noodling around with the hold function, but it only works on modes 1-9, when it then gets confused if you play too many notes (doesn't know which ones to affect, and can't manage them all...monophonic), and to get the most of the hold function you have to have your dry and affected levels properly sorted otherwise you don't hear one or the other. I've found that more difficult than it sounds.

7. The hold function is the only reason I would buy an SYB-5 again, didn't like it and it didn't like me.
    I can't remember if you can clean hold if that makes sense, I thought it could only be an effected hold, been awhile since I owned one.

8. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    One of the tricky things with using the hold mode is getting the timing right. You really need to slam down the note and sustain it for long enough to make sure it triggers the synth. This of course has a huge impact on your playing dynamics - it really emphasises the chord changes, kinda like:

BAM noodle noodle noodle BAM noodle noodle noodle :)

I feel the SYB-3 is a little dull by itself, so I like to run fuzz/phaser/delay etc after it to spice it up. Long decays sound great with delay :) Most recent discovery is how damn cool it sounds with a ring mod after it, you get really vowel-like sounds at different parts of the decay cycle.

chris/bass/idoru

9. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Yeah the hold function is key. I play it through an SVP-BSP pre-amp which has two channels, a clean and an overdrive channel. I have the SYB-5 hooked into the effects loop on the overdrive channel. That way I always have the clean channel playing simultaneously. So I really don't need the hold function, unless I want to get some nice spacey flange stuff going in the background (like I said earlier great for dub reggae sections). Since I've rigged it this way, I haven't had any of the tracking problems either. Overall it's a fun effect, but it's not something you can use in every song. I don't go to it as often as my envelope filter for instance. Still curious about hooking up an expression pedal too it. Wondering what part of the effect it works on.

10. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The big problem with this pedal for me was the fact that the synthesized note just cuts off after the input signal drops below a certain level - sometimes unpredictably.

11. yeah I get that too, bit annoying. I suppose I work around it though.