Boss SYB-3 settings

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Zauriel, Jul 3, 2004.

1. Zauriel

Jul 2, 2004
    First of all:
    This is my first posting, so greetings to everybody!

For quite some time I have tried to emulate the classic Moog-sounds (as on Boogie On Reggae Woman) and finally found the Akai Deep Impact, which does a wonderful job.

But I still have the SYB-3 sitting around here and I can't really decide to sell it because I figure that with so many sound possibilities there should be some usable sounds hidden within. Never have found them though...

So... has anybody found some good settings with that pedal and would be so kind as to share them? Btw: the sound examples on the Boss site did nothing for me... too industrial sounding...
  2. I have gotten a really good sounding Moog Taurus out of the SYB, unfortunately I sold it, and am now using the GT6B, which has a similar effect in it, but the settings are different, but it is possible, just keep trying out all the options.
  3. I buyed the SYB-3 this week. For now, i'm really satisfied of the wah effect... the others are crap! :spit:

Look at this little song i've made the day i receive the pedal... I had to listen to it from a record to better judge the sound!

SYB-3 with Midi friends :D

Is that sounding good? (the bass of course!)
  4. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Sell that piece of crap!

5. Aren't you the owner of a Boss GT6B, that has the same effect in it? :eyebrow:
  6. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    "WAS". And fortunately, not anymore!!! Yesterday, the happy buyer confirmed its arrival. I bought another ME-8B that's making its way home (I had one before and I stupidly sold it) that has the only decent synths/t-wah ever made by BOSS. If you find one, five it a try and you'll see (it has the "internal sound" unusable synths too, but it has 5 amazing waveshape modes and more than 10 parameters). The only synth i know that can accurately reproduce the "Sir Psycho Sexy" sound (other than whatever pedal Flea used back then) or any Jamiroquai sound (in fact Stu uses an ME-8B for synth sounds).

7. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Wow, I really like your playing. However, I can't detect any synth on the bass.
  8. I used to own a ME 8B, the synth part on the GT6B is 99% the same, it's just harder to operate since there are more options. I rely a lot on my Boss (former ME8B) GT6B for it has replaced my Moog Taurus bass pedals, and they both did/do a good job.
  9. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)

OK, then just try these two things:

1) Try emulating Sir Psycho Sexy type of sound (with waveshape modes -internal sounds are unusable because of the non-tracking-)
    2) Try to mix wah-ed bass with clean signal

The ME-8B has more waveshape modes (5; the GT-6B has only two and to bring them to life, Boss put on this "attack trigger" parameter, which is -once again- unusable horrid-tracking internal sound). Don't get me wrong, the GT-6B has lots of great features I liked, but effects (what the unit is intended for) and particularly synth/wah are not as good as on the ME-8B, so that's why I'm switching back. In the ME-8B there are 11 parameteres for the synth bass some of which are missing on the GT-6B so it's not harder to operate at all. It simply lacks some parameters on the usable ("analogic") waveshape types of synths. The thing is, it maybe worth it for making weird sound effects or for plain no filter synths, but it is not for musical sounding Bootsy (or Stu -Jamiroquai-) type of sounds.

10. I only use the auto-wah... and you can detect it in the higher notes. If I could get it off the sample, i'm pretty sure you would see the difference!

Thank for your kind comment!