Boss SYB-3 Synthesizer pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MrFortuneCookie, Apr 10, 2001.

1. What do you guys think of this pedal? Do you like it? If so, why? If not, why?
  2. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    I played one at my local music store and its a very fun toy. I would never buy one, especially having it cost over 200$, but I would never find a use for it.
  3. It's nice for dub/hiphop kinda things, or sympho stuff (effect nr. 5 with a very long sweep time is cool). Tracking of the synth effects could be better. Wave shaping is useless. But the Auto-wah is absolutely fabulous.

If you're not absolutely shure you have a use for it, don't buy it, it just too expensive.

If you're trying it in the store, try to find out if your playing style lets you track notes perfectly. If it doesn't track, it gets kinda annoying at times.
  4. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Also consider the Electro Harmonix Bass Microsynth. It is about the same price and tracks almost perfectly. Using it is a little more difficult than the Boss model, but The sounds are really cool (and analog). I use it for synth sounds, fuzz (though it is not very good for this) and as an Octive pedal (it works great for this).

5. I own an Electro Harmonix Micro Synth and they piss on the Boss Synths. They have way better control over tone.
  6. LowfreqB

Nov 10, 2000
    United States
    I just sold my syb-3, I needed money. I liked it alot. What I liked most about it was the autowah. This pedel is not hard to figure out. Just sit down and read the manual. I only had one use for the wave shape feature. The beginning of "uncle toms cabin" by rush. Since I'm not Giddy Lee, and dont play that song alot, I had little to no use for the wave shaping functions.
  7. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    "Tom Sawyer". ;)
  8. Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    I do want one of these but they are ****ing expensive. Has the SYB 3 got an auto wah function? If it has the I suppose its no point dishing out on an AW 2 or 3 then.
  9. Um, it's got a T-wah. The wah sound varies depending on how loud you play. So it's not automatic, but touch controlled. I personally think the Wah function in the SYB-3 is fabulous, especially when using extreme settings (resonance knob at max).
  10. Forget the Boss. Find a Korg G5 Bass synth instead. Easier interface, 9 preset locations and an input for a volume pedal to control the sweep if you like. This is such a fine box that i went out and bought another in case the first broke. So great. Send those little hiphop kids running for the bathroom with your subharmonic sweeps. Cheap fun.
  11. I had SYB-3 for a few months, but got rid of it with much pleasure! It just started to get annoying, when you always would have the exactly same quacks and bleeps from it, unlike from a envelope filter, which reacts to your playing dynamics. And speaking of filters, that internal autowah was quite poor and tame when compared to Q-Tron or Mu-Tron III.

The bottom line: It just doesn't deliver THE BANG for your bucks - especially when you consider how pricey it is.
  12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Much better off with the EHX stuff, they are the masters of the wackier type sounds.
  13. This may be a matter of opinion, but the T-wah sounds very fat to me. It cuts through 2 guitars and a loud drummer. The only thing is, you gotta know how to set the knobs. Dry sound off, resonance at max. Frequency at 12 o'clock.

14. madsky

Apr 21, 2001
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Any cheaper alternatives to the BOSS SYB-3 ?
  15. As much as I don't care for the SYB-3, you'd be hard pressed to find better bang for yer buck. It's fairly cheap is it not? For better sounds you could go the analog route with a Mutron III, Octaver and maybe some fat fuzz for moog effects... just crank up your dist/fuzz/whatever and play very softly; you'll get a seriously subharmonic tone if you hit it right. Stick an envelope follower in front for a sweep and there you go (?) That new Line 6 FM4 looks like a bargain with all the filter and synth effects it offers....anybody want to buy a Mutron III+ ? I feel another hit of G.A.S. coming on......

Too cool......