Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boss SYB-3 vs. Ibanez SB7

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by goran, Feb 18, 2004.

Which one do you prefer?

Poll closed Feb 28, 2004.
  1. Boss SYB-3

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. Ibanez SB-7

11 vote(s)
    68.8%
  1. goran

goran

Dec 17, 2002
    Croatia
    Endorsing Artist: Bartolini
    I can't decide which one to choose. I can get second-handed Boss for 100€ (good deal, considering it is 240@€ new) and Ibanez new for 80.

Those of you who tried them, please write about pros and cons of pedals. I have red that Boss has some problems with tracking-may it be because of reviewers' poor technique or it reall can't catch up with fast playing? I have heard some sound clips of Ibanez. It didn't impress me much, but that are only clips made by someone else, not me..

I don't have a chance to try either of them before purchasing so I will realy rely on your thoughts. Thank you!

2. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    I had the Boss unit, SYB-3. I didn't care for it at all. The tracking was absolutely horrendous. So bad, it practically made the unit unusable. It was not due to poor technique. Don't beleive the hype. This pedal is not that great.

On the other hand, I've recently picked up the Digitech X series synth-wah. A much better synth type pedal with a wonderful octaver. I don't have any experience with the Ibanez. I'd recommend you stay away from the Boss.

3. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I own both. The Boss is more of a synth, the Ibanez is more like a filter with distortion. Yes the tracking is tricky on the Boss, it is sensitive to different basses and you have to play very cleanly. I agree w/ atldeadhead, just get the digitech xbw over either of these. I had one but traded it toward a korg g5, which is also an excellent synth pedal but not so amazing that I don't still want another xbw.

4. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Like jondog said. The Boss is a real, no sh%$ synth and the Ibanez is a fuzzy envelope filter. I like my Ibanez and find it usefull, but I have heard great stuff about the Digitech (espesially as an octave effect). The Akai Deep impact is worth checking out as well.

The Boss is fun, at your house, but the tracking problem can be a real pain playing out.

Good Luck

5. goran

goran

Dec 17, 2002
    Croatia
    Thank you for your input...
    Reading your posts, I get a feeling that Boss is quite unusable. But I don't plan to play Victor Wooten-kind of music. No fast playing, just imagine this: would Boss catch up with 4th or maybe 8th notes at 120-130bpm?

Can I get "Deeper underground (Jamiroquai)" type of sound from Ibanez?

6. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I borrowed the boss pedal for a very short time. It stayed in my bag almost the whole time. The boss pedal will not be able to follow 8th notes at 130 bpm. It will have trouble tracking 4th notes at that speed if you want to cross strings. This pedal is an absolute waste of money.

I've heard that yer man from Jamiroquai does use a Boss synth but How he makes it sound like that is beyond me. My gues is that he doesn't- He just says he does because he doesn't want the rest of the world to copy his sound.

7. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I had a Boss SYB-3 Pedal for a while. Not very impressed at all. IT is a true synth - it uses the bass signal to trigger internally generated sounds on some of the settings. On others is modifies the actual signal of the bass. The tracking is not great - as long as you play cleanly and slowly it can keep up, anything approaching moderate and it won't keep up!

It can be fun to play around with when you're bored and you get some neat sounds out of it.......that's about all though!

I had a GT-6B for a while too, the synth in that was similar to the SYB-3 - in terms of tracking. From what I've heard - and I haven't tried one, if you want good tracking from a Boss unit you need to get the V-bass!

8. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    See if you can track down an Akai Deep Impact. They have great synth sounds, track very well, have pre-sets, and have true-bypass.

9. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    i have the digitech X series one and i like it better than the boss...haven't tried the ibanez. i tried the boss at GC and couldn't bare it.

10. goran

goran

Dec 17, 2002
    Croatia
    Ok, guys, I get the picture. Ibanez it is! (unless I find Akai or Digitech for same money, but that is highly unlike...)

11. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    sb-7 all the way... As stated.... its "not a synth"... But mind you, neather is the boss - really... The SB-7 is analog and it reacts very much like a korg ms-20's filter section, so if you are looking for a true analog synth sound the sb-7 does it to a key...

Alex

12. Fretless FX

Fretless FX

Feb 2, 2004
    Can you play chords with the Ibanez? It doesn't get muddy when you play two notes at once?

13. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Yup... full chords, double stops, everything... Its all I ever wanted in a synth pedal... On other news, I think I am going to hold onto the tube overdrive Fretless FX... Sorry if you where interested...

Alex

ps. if you don't trade the 440, I would still buy it...

14. Fretless FX

Fretless FX

Feb 2, 2004
    Hmm, no other bass synth allows chords AFAIK, very interesting! Pm'd you.

15. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    It allows chords because it's not really a synth, it's a distortofilter.

16. Fretless FX

Fretless FX

Feb 2, 2004
    And the digitech xbw, does it work with chords?

17. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    nope

18. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I've owned a Korg G5,Digitech BSW and Boss SYB-3 and I like the Ibanez SB7 better than all of them.It might not be a "real" synth but it sounds more natural to me than any of those other pedals.Very musical and responsive to your playing technique IME :bassist:

19. Hofbrauhaus

Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    I'll sell you my SB7 for 50 bucks shipped! Let me know if you haven't bought one yet and are interested, thanks!

20. Fretless FX

Fretless FX

Feb 2, 2004
    Else I'd be interested as well...