1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Boss SYB-3 vs. SYB-5

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Wehner, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Wehner

Wehner

Mar 13, 2007
    Denmark
    For my new cover band band I want a synth bass pedal so I can better emulate some of the keyboard bass on the original version. What I am going for would be fat, greasy vintage sound, and currently I can get good deals on both of the Boss pedals locally so I was wondering which one would be best suited for my needs.

Currently we do this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vItrOTCp1RA and from :25 on you can clearly hear the synthy bass sound. I want that :)

Next up is Material Girl which I could do without a synth, but maybe it would be cool with one and later we are gonna do Just an Illusion for which it would be essential.

Any input would be much appreciated - I haven't owned a synth pedal before. Suggestions beside the Boss'es are also welcome.

2. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    IME SYB-5 is terrible.

-Sounds are pretty ordinary. Not even close to sounding like vintage synths.
    -Tracking is not really good.

3. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    I've never owned an SYB-3, but you can definitely do that line with the SYB-5. Mode 1, resonance and frequency both most of the way down, decay all the way up. I'm currently using the Behringer clone of the 5, and could easily cop that tone. You should be fine.

BTW - as an aside, I really don't consider that tone to be very "vintage" sounding. That is a pretty modern synth sound to me. Which is what the SYB is good at, in my opinion.

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

For this kind of tone a gated fuzz will be much better than a SYB.
    If you really want a synth pedal then the EHX BMS would be the way to go.

5. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    This sounds more like it to me. Probably wouldn't need a ton of fuzz either. P bass and a pick, some fuzz, and roll off the tone on the bass a bit.

I like the song.... reminds me of a more "organic" Imogen Heap. Bonus points for having the bass up front :D

6. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    EHX BMS is greasy (in a good way), but if you're aiming for "Material Girl" type synth tones, you should give the MarkBass SuperSynth a try.

7. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    you could probably nail that tone with something like the mxr blowtorch.
    i find the syb5 better at slow sweeps, using the expression pedal and modes 11 & 12 (IIRC)

8. Wehner

Wehner

Mar 13, 2007
    Denmark
  9. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    I really like my syb 3, I find it sounds alot like some older synths.

I can really nail some herbie style bass with it.

also I was pleasantly surprised with the ibanez toneloc bass synth as well.