1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Boss SYB 5 and Boss FV500L- anyone tried?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BassKS, Sep 14, 2008.

1. BassKS

BassKS

Sep 14, 2008
    Hey guys,

I recently purchased the SYB5 and wanted to get some coole synth sounds for a new project. I realised that the tracking was terrible but the sounds are awesome and thought I would just use it as legato as possible and buying an EXPression pedal might enhance the sound. I tried a Moog one (the puny little mooegerfooger series) and there was nothing going on.

So i thought Id buy the FV500L (my bass being active and all that) and thought I could also use it as a volume pedal at other points.

However, Nothing seems to be going on with the FV500L either. I mean its supposed to work in the same way as the recomended EV-5 but im not getting the sweeping frequencies on modes 10-11 or the change in pulse rate in modes 3 and 6.
    Any chance that I might have blown it by sticking in the Moog exp pedal? I shouldnt think so but hey.

Any comments are welcome. Even the ones that may start with "you moron!!" :)

2. dream_bass

dream_bass

Nov 19, 2007
    hellou,I also have the syb 5 and I;m also looking for an expression pedal...boss say in their manual that u must use their roland ev 5.0 expression pedal,is that posible that ?

I'm sorry that I was not too helpful,but maybe someone can iluminate us :)
    cheers

3. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    i have the syb 5 and use the fv500H.
    first things first - are you using a stereo lead? if not you won't be getting any use from the expression.
    once you get this working there are a huge number of cool sounds to be found in this pedal!
    Hope this helps!!

4. dream_bass

dream_bass

Nov 19, 2007

u mean that u only can use the expression pedal in stereo ?

5. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    As far as I know, most expression pedals require a stereo (sometimes called TRS) cable to function properly.

6. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings

exactly, a stereo lead from the exp socket on the pedal to the exp socket on the boss fv. It must be stereo as electrical signals are sent to and from the syb as i understand it.

7. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    hmm. I've never used the expression pedal with it. I use one on my moogerfooger lowpass filter. I know that 10, 11 IIRC, don't allow the hold feature. Perhaps the expession pedal is tied to the hold feature. That might explain why it's not working too. Still, I can't imagine that being the case. It would be kind of awkward having to hold the pedal with one foot and use the expression with the other. Still worth eliminating the possibility for the piece of mind. Another thing you could check is the little polarity switch on the expression pedal. Mine can flip flop the sounds made on the up and down position. (if that made any sense to you ;)). I heard that not all pedals that take expression pedals like that. The SYB-5 has a significant learning curve. Just have systematic approach to your troubleshooting and I'm sure you'll figure it out.

8. Jactap

Jactap

Aug 4, 2006
    Bremerton, Wa
    I have the Behringer synth pedal. I got it cuz it was supposedly a cheaper version of the Syb-5. Everything is pretty much the same exact the knob layout. I use the Behringer expression pedal with it and it works fine. You do have to use a Trs cable though.

9. peavey09

peavey09

Oct 1, 2009
    London UK
    Hi, I have a Syb 5 and was looking into getting this pedal but my bass is not a active bass...Will the FV500L still work?

Any help?

Cheers :):)

10. rr5025

rr5025

Nov 12, 2008
    I have the Behringer as well. Initially I used the Moog EP-2 and that worked but barely. Once I switched to an EV-5 not one problem.