1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Boss SYB-5 and Hot Hands for Dubstep bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MissTheTrain, Jul 25, 2012.

1. MissTheTrain

MissTheTrain

May 11, 2012
    New to the forum here. I have the boss syb-5 synth. I want to play dubstep from it but can't seem to find out what else I need to make this happen. I seen the Hot Hands video on youtube but it was with a different pedal. Can this work with my pedal and if so what else do I have to have to make this work? Do I also need an expression pedal? Please elaborate? Sorry if this has already been talked about in another thread but I couldn't find it anywhere. Thanks

2. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    Wait on the Hot Hand; a new one- the HH3- is hitting the market soon and it may be able to control your synth pedal. For what you're wanting to do, that may be ideal.

The Nathan Navarro videos all employ slightly different effects chains....sometimes he's controlling a pitch shifter with the Hot Hand; others just an envelope filter. The Source Audio Soundblock series have ways to daisychain the Hot hand control together and to also use it to control other brands through this daisychain system.

You will probably find that you will need a compressor to help the synth pedal track better. An expression pedal will definitely help create the wubs and wobbles needed from the synth, though it's hard to do with your foot...it depend on if you're using it to control the lfo's frequency or rate.

The Skrillex "talking bass" sound can be mimicked by adding a ring modulator into the chain. utside of that, I find and overdrive and octaver to be mandatory.

See the "Show Your dubstep pedalboard" thread here in the Effects forum.

3. MissTheTrain

MissTheTrain

May 11, 2012
    Okay! Thanks

4. You can definitely do it with an expression pedal. Just set the SYB for modes 3 or 6, and then the exp pedal will control the decay/rate knob, which in those modes controls the speed of the filter wobble. It works great. The Hot Hand may very well do it even easier for you, but as was already said, only the new version that is about to come out will work with non-Source-Audio pedals.

5. I believe the new hot hands will work instead of an expression pedal. Just plug th HH3 into where the expression pedal would go. They had the same thing with the original hot hands, but it sold out fast.

6. MissTheTrain

MissTheTrain

May 11, 2012
    Thanks guys!

7. rsmith601

rsmith601

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    President, Source Audio
    We are shipping the Hot Hand 3 more and more broadly. Most of our on-line dealers in the US have it now (Amazon, 8th Street, Chicago Music, McDaddy, Prymaxe, Recording Store, etc.). We know that it works with the SYB for sure.