BOSS SYB Bass Synth Pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by thrash_jazz, Jan 23, 2002.

1. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I was thinking Boss's Bass Synth Pedal might be something worth checking out. I heard it mimics the keyboard sound quite well and was thinking it could be useful if I ever needed that kind of sound.

Has anyone tried it? Opinions pleeze.
  2. ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Good toy if you are doing very simple things to add to the atmosphere of a song. Some cool sounds on it that I love, but it cant track worth s***. Play a fast run and listen to it start sputter around in confusion. Its a really fun toy to freak people out at a music store, no one usually has any clue where that weird *BEEEOOYYYYP* came from.

As for the mimicking, it has some touch wah stuff, a cool saw wave sound and some other odd things but its tracking is still rather bad. It has its place but it would be something I would look into other synth processers for. I would get it myself just to make odd layered samples for a keyboardist or dj loop play live with a sampler after the recording process is over.
  3. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Pretty expensive for a Boss pedal though. ColdYin, in your opinion, is it worth it, all in all?
  4. Christian Wolstenholme from Muse has one.
    Most people think he uses overdrive, but about 80 % of all his new stuff is with the SYB-3..

I've played with one last saturday, and guess what Santa's bringing in this saturday ? :D

full review including example-sounds coming up :D
  5. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    try an Akai Deep Impact or EH Bass Microsynth.
    Both are higher quality and track better than the SYB. I used to own a EH Bass Microsynth, but I just never used it much because it didn't have presets. I am considering a Deep impact in the future. Those can be had for around $165 or so on the web and they get good reviews and have true bypass (the SYB and Bass Microsynth don't have true bypass)

6. i really hated that thing when i played with it in the store and i used it for quite a while. its just not very usable and really tracks terribly. The note hold feature was kinda cool but i couldnt try it out to well since guitar center keeps there pedals nailed to the F#@%ING WALL like some sort of demonic effects sacraficing ceremony... :mad:
    anyway... i am really trying to get ahold of an akai deep impact because i have heard plenty of good things about it and really being able to cycle through the presets...
    anyway... boss bass synth bad... most boss bass pedals bad... most boss pedals bad... why do i own five of them then:confused:
  7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    My Boss ME-8B multiFX unit has the SYB patches in it, among other things. They turn up used for less than the single pedal.

If you don't go overboard with the depth of the effect, it is usable. With the synth bass and touch wah, your physical attack can make the difference between a useless and useful patch.
  8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I have the Boss pedal & the Akai Deep Impact....the
    Akai tracks way better than the Boss.
    Aloha, Jerry
  9. ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    If you really want it, buy it used, not worth it new in my opinion.
  10. I wanted the Akai, but couldn't find any store that has them.. so i started looking for alternatives.. the SYB-3 was a suitable candidate for me..
  11. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Thanks for the advice fellas:)