Boss TU2 Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by WhatOtto, Dec 13, 2003.

1. WhatOtto

Dec 10, 2003
    Portland, OR.
    I noticed something kinda interesting (and a little irritating) with my Boss TU2 tuner pedal. I noticed that it lowers my input volume when I use it inline with my bass and my amp. Why? I mean if it's off, it should just bypass the signal to the amp right? I only use the pedal to check my tuning and sometimes as a mute soo I can leave my volume knob on my bass set in it's best position in between songs when playing live.

My question is this? Is this normal?
    I do not have alot of experince with pedals, and the Boss TU2 is the only one I own.
  2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    its not nessecarily normal but thats not what that tuner was designed for. I have that tuner, its not a pedal tuner so it wasnt really designed for live use. If your amp has a tuner out jack like mine does it doestn affect the sound level at all. Get a stage tuner pedal or a rack tuner if you want to be able to check your tuning during the show much. Unless your bass sucks or its very cold or warm then your bass should stay in tune for an entire set.
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    What? Sure looks like a stomp box to me. Three people in my rock band use them on stage, and four people in my country band do the same. We apparently are some misguided mofos. Anyway, try putting a new battery in it. Mine doesn't do this.

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    None, repeat NONE of the Boss pedals are true-bypass. They will ALL vary the tone and/or output of your bass, although it might be so slight as to be undetectable by most . . .
  5. WhatOtto

Dec 10, 2003
    Portland, OR.
    Thanks that clears so stuff up. I play a G&L L2000 and it's pups are pretty hot, this pedal knocks it down a tad. the bass usually stays in tune during the show, but I like being able to mute the bass in between songs instead of the volume knob. Plus one of our songs is in drop d tuning so I can switch it pretty fast with the pedal

I am gonna stop that and only use the tuner when I need to check the tuning, I gues I could use the tuner out feature on my amp.
  6. Me too.:D :D :D :D
  7. I believe that the Peterson Strobostomp is the ONLY tuner (pedal tuner?) which DOES have True Bypass...'s for THAT reason alone that I tried out the Strobostomp; after 2 nights using it, I just wasn't digging "reading" the strobing - just seemed confusing to me, as the strobing slowed down, but never actually "stopped"... I bought the Boss TU2; there will be some degredatin in tone (because it's still running through the circuit, like all stomp-boxes do when not switched on, AFAIK)..
    ..but my ears can't discern the degredation; not on gigs, anyway... maybe in the studio I'd hear it

8. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    There's a new one out from planet waves, the CT-04, thats supposed to be true bypass, and its cheaper than the boss. I've got one on the way, so we'll see...
  9. bass.player

May 30, 2006
    I recommend a Korg DT-10, super tuner, not really True Bypass but tonesuck is second to none.
    Very bright leds, super fast and the price is more or less the same a s a TU-2
  10. Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    yeah, boss pedals suck tone... maybe your volume drop is more than normal and you have a problem though?

i'd just take it out of the chain and put it in your tuner send from the amp... but you use it as a mute... hmmm, well just get really good at turning your volume knobs back to the same settings? :D
  11. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician. Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    get a volume pedal to turn down between songs.
  12. ukbassboy

Mar 19, 2006
    How bright is your little red check light? Mine was doing the same thing the other day and the check light was virtually non existant = flat battery. A battery change later and things returned to normal, no (noticeable) loss of sound quality. These things do go through batteries pretty damn quick though:meh: I have had to resort to only using mine for band practices and gigs and using my old tuner at home, otherwise I just go through to many $'s of batteries!
  13. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    I use mine with a 9V adaptor and it still sucks volume/tone.
  14. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    +1. The DT-10 is a great tool. It beats the crap out of a TU-2 any day. The Korg has a better bypass, is more accurate, is $10.00 cheaper and it looks awesome, too. (Yeah, that last part is what really matters.)
  15. Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    You know, may be I'm just not very picky with tone, or I have real unsensitive hearing, but I hear almost no difference between my Wah, Boss Chorus, Boss Tuner, and EH Muff'n, all in-line, or just plugging straight into the amp. I even built a bypass box the other day, and could tell no difference between having the Chorus and Wah bypassed, or in-line. Although it could be I built a crappy bypass or got an exceptional batch of pedals.

Anyway, all Boss pedals, and for that matter, almost every pedal out there is capacitively coupled, which means it uses a capacitor in the signal path to keep any DC current in the circuit, and out of your cables. All Boss pedals (AFAIK) also use a buffered bypass, which in itself is not a bad thing, and can reduce noise in your signal, but is responsible for the "tonesuck" people describe. I personally never considered it much of a problem. Allthough I use Ampeg stuff, so maybe the tonesuck is lost in the murky depths...

But I for one love the TU-2.
  16. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I guess I'm not picky either. I don't hear a difference. I'm sure no one in the club listening to me does either. The TU-2 is a great pedal. It's a tuner and also a mute when I switch basses. I also believe it is quite accurate. I have checked my bass after strobing with a very nice strobe tuner and the Boss shows me right on.

For a "weekend warrior" like me - and many off us - the TU-2 is just fine.
  17. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    It's not that I'm picky, just that my Para Driver is! Good news for me is that my CEB-3 and Dime wah don't "tonesuck" too much. With my TU-2, I had to turn the Drive up another couple of "o'clocks" in order to get the same sound as when I didn't use the tuner! BTW, on guitar there is no "tonesuck" :mad:
  18. Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I know a great many that would disagree with that...but who cares about those guys.
  19. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Hahahaha! That's how I feel, and I play guitar :bag:

Only sometimes though! :D
  20. rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I must have lost just enough of my hearing, because I don't notice any difference in tone:hyper: