1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Boss tuner out of whack?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by baddarryl, Mar 20, 2009.

1. baddarryl

baddarryl Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    I bought a couple of used pedals. One is the Boss TU2 Chromatic tuner. I thought it worked ok until I used it to drop tune to d with. It actually read tuned at d#. In other words it read tuned at d, but actually the bass was at d#. My buddy plugged his guitar in to test it and it tested true at d. ***? Are these pedals worthless at the lower frequencies of bass or is it something else? It works normally at standard tuning.

Also, is it advisable to take the batteries out of these types of pedal while not in use for short periods of time (say a week) as long as they are not connected to anything? Or can they still be drained if left in?
    Thanks.

2. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    What mode did you set the tuner on?

I know you can select bass, guitar or chromatic mode.

I set my on chromatic mode so it goes down or up half step each time.

3. baddarryl

baddarryl Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    I had it set on chromatic.

4. You may have some how changed the standard 440hz A tuning by a few semi tones . I have done this on my tu 12 by accident either on a dark stage or after having a few too many cold ones . Check you users manual . Jesse

5. impactwrench

impactwrench

Feb 22, 2009
    I bet it was d with the tiny dot by it, which would be d#. You probably didnt notice the dot, which means sharp.

6. strke-fender

strke-fender

Feb 26, 2009

this. i do it all the time.
    that's why i keep i on bypass so i can tune by ear and then fine tune with the tuner afterwords.

7. basshero1107

basshero1107

Jun 20, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    switch it to 440 Hz

there should be a calibration button on it somewhere

8. this is probably it