Boss v. Behringer

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tim192, Sep 17, 2006.

1. tim192

tim192

Sep 3, 2006
    Bristol UK
    Apart from the obvious differences in quality of manufacture, am I going to really regret buying a Behringer BOD100 or something similar as opposed to saving up for Boss ones at 3 times the price?

2. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    If you like to throw your pedals after old ladies on the street, then yes - you'll regret buying Behringer over Boss.

However, if you have a nice board set up where the pedals are tightened, you'll be fine with the plastic housing of the behringer pedals. They sound just identic to Boss pedals imo.

That said, when you look at a Behringer pedal, be sure to look at the similar Boss pedal. Sometimes Boss offers a wider range of controls.

3. Maybe in five years time when you're buying the third Behringer because the others have gone west... but you'd still be breaking even so... :hyper:

4. i think that boss has the better resale value :)

and i agree with niftydog as well, my experience with behringer is the same as my experience with shoes. In one year, i used to be able to go through 3 pairs of $20 shoes, or i could go through one pair of 60 dollar shoes.
    of course i am 1/7 as active as i used to be, so now 20 dollar shoes last as long as any other pair because they don't really get worked...same with behringer--they will last long if you don't use them very often ;)

5. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Niftydog and Superbassman, please tell me how you treat your behringer pedals then.

I've had the BOD-100 since it came on the shelves and used it 3 nights a week untill I got my new amp. Never had any problems at all.

You do know that it will turn on/off if you step on it gently, no? :smug: :p

6. Not having a go at you uly, but come and see me when your Behringer pedal is as old as my Boss BF-2, DM-2 or my Tel Ray (Morley) PWO and if it's still working as good as those two are today then I'll eat my hat! :D

The fact is that in my line of work I've seen a LOT of Behringer gear fail prematurely. One installation I repaired had been in place just over a year when the Behringer 16 channel mixer, the 4 in 1 compressor and the stereo graphic equaliser all failed within a month of each other.

But keep in mind that I wasn't saying NOT to buy Behringer - I just like people to know what they're buying, and you can't get this kind of real world knowledge from the Behringer website!!!

7. As nifty said, I don't think Behringer stuff will last as long as Boss stuff, but only time will tell.

8. Behinger stuff sounds good, and so far it has lasted through 3 years of giging for me. The $20 price is about the same as the depreceation of Boss from new to used.

9. arjosy

arjosy

Jan 4, 2006
    New Joisey
    Also depends on how you use them. I have a few Boss pedals (noise suppressor and compressor/sustainer). I bought them to replace a Zoom MKII. Sound quality aside, I found that most plastic effects boxes won't stand up to the wear and tear of frequent gigging. When I was mostly jamming in the basement with friends and doing infrequent gigging, the lower end stuff was just fine. But once you start dealing with higher volumes and cramming gear onto a small club stage, you start wishing you had better stuff. Just my two cents.

10. frogleggstoo

frogleggstoo

Aug 21, 2006
    Hell I use both I mean what the heck it's only money..I have never heard two pedals sound alike even the same brand but as far as I am concerned the more toy's the better R.

11. stewblack

stewblack

Sep 7, 2006
    I think the only way is to try 'em out side by side. Things like the tuner - just as well pay1/3 the price and get behringer as it doesn't affect the sound. The bass chorus - Behringer, the flanger - Boss depending on your taste in sounds but the boss just does more the graphic definately Boss, no question. The Behringer is ridiculously cheap by comparison but the two don't compare sound wise.
    Once again, suck it and see. I bought some Behringer pedals just to try their stuff out because they are almost 'disposable' at the price. Perfectly reliable BTW.

12. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    A badly-designed circuit will affect your sound whether it is supposed to or not. The only way to avoid that with a cheap tuner is to run it from the tuner out of an amp, or off an external bypass box.

13. RJ

RJ

Aug 17, 2000
    San Francisco
    How do the two brands warranties differ?

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021