1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Boss VF-1: advice needed.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jamolah, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Jamolah

Jamolah

Apr 28, 2005
    UK, North East
    Hello TBers,

I recently purchased a Boss VF-1 from ebay and have had a great time so far fooling around with the pre-sets and such, but I have had a bit of trouble finding some particular sounds that I want, and wonder if anybody here has some advice about using this unit. My problem is the pitch shifter. The PS on the unit only seems available as part of the 'vocal multi' algorithm and is therefore unavailable in the bass or guitar patches (it would seem). In my looping set i'd like to be able to use some octave-up sounds for lead lines, and it would be nice to use some guitar-amp sounds or similar for solo's etc. Also, when using the PS you seem to get a not-so-nice warbling, chorus-like sound which can't be dialled out.

If anybody has had similar problems or experience in general with this unit and has some tips to share I'd be most grateful. Any advice is welcomed, even if it simply amounts to "Quit crying and go buy a Whammy!", which I'm seriously considering.

Cheers,
    Jamolah (John)

2. You can access the "Harmonist" effect in the Guitar Multi 1 algorithm. Its in the Mod section there. Like yourself I haven't found the VF1's pitch shifting abilities and tracking particularly good, although I haven't played any other pitch shifters except for a brief shot of a Whammy.