Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boss VF-1, tuning & muting questions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by craigb, Dec 10, 2004.

1. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Hey Y'all,

I can't find a Boss VF-1 manual out on the web to figure this out and I know a few folks here use/have used them so I thought I'd access the collective TB wisdom on this.

This unit seems to fit my wants - 1/2 rack space, tuner & effects. I would be putting it in the effects loop on a Sansamp RBI. My main questions:

- how do you select the tuner? Looking at what pics I can find of it there's no "tuner" button like on a Behringer V-amp.

- does selecting the tuner mute the output? I hope so since this would let me drop it in and get effects & muted tuning out of the remaining open 1/2 space in my rack.

- how well does the tuner work on bass (4-string for me)?

- would the line input on the back work for dropping it in the RBI effects loop or would I have to run a cable out to the front guitar input?

Thanks VF-1 gurus! And if you have any other words of wisdom to impart on these fire away. And if you have one for sale (Xyllion did you ever sell yours?) let me know what you want for it. Depending on the answers to my questions this could be my answer to removing another piece of gear (my pedalboard) from what I need to carry around. My bandmates are somewhat amused (particularly the drummer) by my drive to minimize what I need to cart around to play.

2. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Oops. posted too soon. Additional questions:

- since I would have it in series do the effects have a wet/dry blend setting? I know on my cheap digitial multieffects pedal I'm not happy with the sound directly through it and need a wet/dry blend (added through a Boss line selector pedal).

- are you happy with the sound? again my cheap digitial Zoom is only acceptable to me when I'm adding effects, I dislike it bypassed and use the Boss LS pedal to completely bypass it (and mix it with the dry signal).

Thanks again!

3. To enter tuner mode, hit the Utility button, then turn the knob to the 'tuning fork' icon, and press the knob...voila, you're in the tuner. Hit exit to exit. I believe when you're in the tuner mode and you hit Parameter Right, it'll bring up a Tuner volume deal and you can set it to mute while you're tuning. The tuner works well for bass.

It's recommended that when you're running it in the FX loop, you use the rear input and set the switch to -20 db. The VF-1, like many processors, can clip rather quickly with hot signals.

Wet/Dry...generally you can set each effect patch to have an effects level and a master level...if you want 20% fx and 80% clean, then you can turn the effects down.

For what it's worth, there's a 50/50 button on the back of the RBI for maintaining a 50% clean signal.

The VF-1 sounds really good, and the variety of effects is pretty staggering. You'll find that you don't use some of them 'cause they're just not practical with bass (the dancy-remix patches and Vocoder patches), and with all multi-effects, they take time to tweak and dial them in perfect. The presets are basically showcases to display the power and versatility of the unit, but don't quite work in the real world without some tweaking. Like I keep saying, though, this is the same with all multi-effects processors.

You can buy a VF-1 manual directly from Boss (www.bossus.com) if I remember correctly, for about $10 or so.

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Yes, I did sell mine. I've converted over to using a Lexicon MPX G2 and I couldn't be happier. The VF-1 is an excellent effects box, but the G2 is just a little bit better.

I think the manual actually cost around $15, but either way it is well worth buying it. The VF-1 is reasonably intuitive, but it sure wouldn't hurt to have a copy of the manual.

5. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    You can also set the unit to access tuning mode via footswitch, utilizing the CTL 1/2 on the back. This is pretty handy if you don't want to keep walking back to your amp. I love my VF-1. I play a 7 it's great being able to go instantly from bass oriented sounds to more guitar-like sounds. :hyper:

6. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    so what exactly is this thing?

7. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Thanks guys - definitely sounds like something to put on my "want" list. I need to get one in hand and try it out. The exact height on the list will have to be figured out.

My problem with using the RBI effects loop in parallel is getting muted tuning. That's the only feature that the RBI is missing for me to be completely satisfied with its feature set. If it had a mute button I could even plug in my boss TU-12H tuner and use that for muted tuning without my boss TU-2 in my pedalboard.