Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boss VF-1

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by phunkalicious, Nov 25, 2004.

1. I'm looking to get a Boss VF-1 and I just want to know if there is any delay between patches, like the SE-70? Thanks.

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

There is, but it's neglictable. A few milliseconds.
    Like, you will hear the switch if you have a sustaining note going on, otherwise you won't notice it.

3. I hope you're considering buying mine - Here

Yeah, you can sense the switching like Jazz Ad said, but from what I've heard, you will not get unnoticeable switching until you spend over a grand for a G-Force. Even Eventide's have some switching issues. I might be wrong though. I've played Boss/Roland/Line 6/Lexicon/Alesis/Rocktron/and Zoom processors, and all of them have a noticeable switch between presets. The VF-1 is much better than the average.

4. Yea, I was considering yours, but I went with an rp-12 instead. Rp-12= really cheap, really customizable, sounds really good, and with the editing program- semi-easy to use. Thanks though. ;)

5. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Hey Mo'Phat--I read some Harmony Central reviews saying that you can't totally change the order of FX in VF-1 algorithms like you can on the GT-3 pedalboard (which I have). Also--how low does the lowest band of the parametric go? I might be interested in your box if it's still around in a couple weeks.

6. The algorithms are pretty set-in-stone, but there are some things you can rearrange (like putting delay before modulation, etc.) but that's dependent on the algorithm. There's 36 algorithms, though, and they are based on what is the usual and recommended order for effects.

The 4-band EQ isn't fully parametric. There's hi and lo shelving and parametric hi and lo mids. Both the hi and lo mids are 100 - 10.0 k hz. There's a Sub 4-band EQ which helps focus on the lows, but I don't know much more about that. The 10-band Graphic's lowest freq is 31.2 hz.

Hope this helps.