Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boss VF1 Question for Michael

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hi Michael,
    I was wondering what patch you use, or what patch you use and edit from the VF1 to get your saxaphone effect. Also, since the box seems geared mostly towards guitarists, have you had any problems with some of the effects not working well with bass frequencies?
    Thanks!

2. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Hi Bryan,

I’m kind of nerdy when it comes to music toys and all the patches I use on the VF-1 are things I programmed myself. The patch I think you’re describing I made from the “Guitar Multi 1” algorithm. Some effects processors do have limited frequency response, but the VF-1 seems to be pretty full range. It was ostensibly designed not just for guitar, but as a kind of multi-purpose box, as it also has dedicated algorithms for reverb and other single and double effect patches, as well as some that are supposed to be optimized for voice, keys and even bass!

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Thanks, Michael!

4. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Nearly two years later and I just got a VF-1, so if you ever happen to write down how the sax sound is built, let me know ;) :D

5. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Congratulations, Bryan. It’s a fun box. I think the effect you’re talking about is something I made using one of the pitch change algorithms. There are several different ones in the unit and one of them just has a very cool vibe!