Boss VF1

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Baron, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Baron

Jan 4, 2004
    I'm looking for a rack mountable multi effect unit that does that does a good chorus, bass synth, and filter effects, and doesn't alter your sound when bypassed.

I was looking at the Eclipse, which is obviously a great unit, but caught wind of the VF1 which is much, much cheaper and is used by the likes of Amy of Clatter and Michael Manring.

Can anyone comment on the VF1? Perhaps compare and contrast to another unit such as the Eventide Eclipse or Kurzweil Mangler?
  2. Search through all the posts by Me and Tritone, we have used the VF-1 and both like it alot. I've since reverted back to stomp boxes, but waffle constantly. Also look at the (long ago discontinued) Boss SE-50 and SE-70, which are 1/2 rack processors.

They are all good, solid units. As with most Boss units, none of the effects are the best out there, but they do all effects reasonably well.
  3. Tosya

Oct 11, 2002
    I'm afraid I can't offer much of a comparison because I haven't tried any other multi-effects, but I've been really happy with the VF-1. There are just so many sounds to choose from that you can really have a lot of fun screwing around with it. I would recommend it!
  4. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Hi Baron, welcome to Talkbass! Hi to you too Mo'!

The VF-1 is great. Just like any other multi-effect, you will need to spend time:

#1- Learning how to navigate the unit
    #2- Learning how to develop your sounds.

I've found the VF-1 to be fairly straight forward. The bypassed sound is not bad, but I've found it easier to just program a patch without any effects, YMMV. You'll find that how you set the global master output will be important depending on how you hook it up.

Setting up sounds is easy. Don't limit yourself to the "bass" patches. The guitar, keyboard, and vocal algorithms all work great for bass if you take the time to tweak them.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any specific questions. :bassist: