1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Boss who fired me will be presenting -should I go?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Steve S, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I worked at a major university for 24 years as a counselor for students. During my last two years, I got a new supervisor who turned out to be combative, argumentative, racist, ignorant and displayed other bullying type behavior. After two years, I got tired of the abuse and filed a grievance against him. I refuled to kiss his a....He pictured me as the person creating the problems, got administration to side with him and I was given 10 minutes to leave the job that I had for over two decades. I tried to talk to attorneys but was told that in our state, employees can be let go at any time. I did file a grievance with the Equal Employment Opportunity Center and after several meetings with my former employers, they agreed to pay me $50,000.

After taking a year to decide on what to do, I began looking for employment which was difficult because I haven't had to do it for such a long time. I found a counseling position at a community college which has turned out to be much better than what I left. Not only do I get to counsel students but I'm also teaching several classes which I couldn't do at the university because I only have a master's degree. Plus, after working 8-5 for such a long time, I now work full time 9-3 because at the community college, I'm a faculty member.

Now to my question. As part of my duties, I have to work with science and math students who are transfering to the university that I left. This is a grant that our school just received for the next five years. There is a meeting scheduled later in the week in another city and one of the presentors is the person who "laid" me off with 10 minutes notice. I had worked there for 24 years. She, only 9 months and never bothered to look at or investigate my grievance and thought of me as a problem employee. I've often wondered what I would do if I ever saw her again. I've never been fired from any job and always received great performance reviews until I had that idiot supervisor. How should I handle this?

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Go to the meeting, conduct yourself as usual, and treat your ex-boss as if the two of you have never met. If she says anything to you ask her 'Im sorry, have we met?' As a woman it will drive her utterly insane. No one will notice a thing but you and her, you just have to try hard not to laugh.

3. rap138

rap138

May 29, 2007
    south of Spain
    I wouldn't do a thing. I'd be corteous if I happen to cross path with her. And that's it.

edit, just saw matticus post, that looks like a nice thing to do

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Show up dressed nicely with your wife/GF/BF/whatever and smile the whole time. Living well is the best revenge. Make sure she gets the message that you are doing just fine despite the wrench she through in your life.

-Mike

5. mpm32

mpm32

Jan 23, 2009
    Bring a bunch of rats in your bag and release them in the middle of the presentation. ;)

Disclaimer - I work in a corporate environment and I would never actually do such a thing although I have thought of such things and the chaos that would ensue - lol.

6. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    Don't let their bad things effect you. Go and conduct yourself as if nothing ever happened. Take the hgh road even if they try and take the low road when they see you. In the end, it will continue to speak volumes for your character as well as theirs.

7. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Stab her with a pencil.

8. formal,cool,detached,no snide glances......if they present you with as check,remember that it is for someone elses well being,and thank the institution that it came from,
    not the presenter.....

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    A Linkin Park pencil.

-Mike

10. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    A dull one at that!

11. Fart in her general direction.

12. It sounds like your in a better situation now so maybe you should go just so you can thank her.

13. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Go. make sure she sees you and make sure you smile the whole time. If you do get a chance to speak to her, be cordial and make sure she's aware that you're doing much much better where you're at now. Resist the temptation to beeotch-slap her. Just be happy, it's the bestest revenge

14. Bring a drinking straw and some paper and when nobody's looking, shoot spit balls at her. If she figures out who's shooting them, THEN stab her with the pencil up through her nostril, piercing her brain. Good times indeed! :D

15. Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    "Thanks for firing me. It's the best thing that ever happened. I have less hours, more responsibility, more money. See you around."

If she's looking for a movie suggestion I'd suggest Up In the Air.

16. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Kill her with kindness. Let her see you smile..... a lot.

17. Pee in her coffee

18. Possibly with some Huey Lewis and The News on in the background?

19. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    It doesn't get much better. :D

20. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    On a more serious side, don't forget that you could be working with her again over the next few years.