Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boss won't work!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kaboom133, Jul 1, 2004.

1. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    I just bought a Boss ODB-3 pedal off of a friend. I tried to play through it the next day, and it wouldn't work! The on light comes on, but I can't hear any difference in my sound. I tried turning all of the knobs and the only one that seems to change my sound at all is the level knob, and it doens't change very much. I was expecting some distortion, I'd heard these things can sound pretty raunchy, but this thing does nothing. I checked to make sure the cables where plugged into the right places, and still nothing. No overdrive, no distortion, no boost of any kind, nothing. I trust the person I bought it off of, like I said, it's my friend, so I doubt he would sell me a broken pedal. Any suggestions? What am I doing wrong, or what's wrong with it?

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    this probably isn't the answer: but are you using a PSU or battery? If battery, maybe it needs changing.

There's no difference when you use the blend knob? That's the one that balances between wet/dry sound

3. ESP Eden

ESP Eden

Feb 9, 2004
    washington mo
    Definately check the battery.

4. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    Thanks, but I tried that. I swapped a new battery in, plus tried a power supply. I don't know what's up with this, I gave it to the guy I bought it off of last night, he's going to see what he can do.

5. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    If it ain't doin' it for you, then dump it.

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

"Boss won't work!"

Almost all of the bosses I've known with didn't work either! :D

Seriously - If your friend is truly a friend, he/she should take it back and refund your money.

If you got it for a ridiculously good price though, you may want to take it to a Boss authorized dealer.........they are all over the map. I've been to little towns where the only music store in the area sells Boss.
    They stand behind their stuff if it hasn't been abused, IME.

7. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    My friends's looking at it now to see what he can see. If that doesn't help, i think this is a good idea, thanks. It's been well taken care of, so we'll see what they can do.

8. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I had a Boss ODB-3 that quit working on me. I looked for the problem forever and eventually found it. The little rubber gromet that the thumb screw passes through had worn (on the top side) so that the thumb screw came in contact with the chassis of the device. I pulled the gromet out and flipped it over which prevented the thumb screw from touching metal and everything worked fine again. I'd check that little rubber piece.

9. callofthebow

callofthebow

Oct 19, 2003
    Orlando, FL
    did you try it before you bought it?

10. When one of my friends was having trouble with one of his pedals, I told him to check the wire connections. He found a loose one, soldered it back it and it worked good as new.

11. dig'em

dig'em

Feb 14, 2004
    Portland
    i know it seems elementary, but did you make sure your input/output cables are going to the right places? a friend of mine bought a boss pedal and was going crazy with the same problem until he figured out he was plugged into it backwards. :smug:

12. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    I'll do that before I take it to the dealer. thanks

No, I watched him use it though, it worked fine. He looked at it and was as puzzled as me. He offered to either trade for another pedal, or buy it back, but I'm going to wait and see if it's fixable.

ADbassman, I took it apart and checked all the wires, nothing looks loose or badly connected, plus wouldn't a short stop the signal? The sound still goes through fine, it's just clean.

dig'em, I checked that, plus I hooked it up the other way just to make sure, still got nothing though.

Thanks for all the help, I'll get this back today, check it out, and if nothing can be found, it's going to the boss dealer for a look-see.