Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boss

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by danqi, Dec 16, 2001.

1. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    I am hoping to get my first effect pedal(s) soon. On my christmas wishlist I wrote down:
    Bass FX pedals (Boss):
    - Envelope Filter
    - Chorus
    I wrote down Boss because they seem to be a well established popular brand. I never really had a chance to compare different FXs because there are no decent shops around here. Whenever one of the local stores has a bass effect it is a Boss.
    Do you think I am doing the wrong thing?

2. I dont think Boss is really that bad but the effects that you chose by them is the wrong move. I dont believe they even make an evelope filter anymore and when they did it really was lacking. The auto wah is the next closest thing but it is total crap. Their guitar chorus pedals are really not to bad but the bass one is not to great in my opinion and there are better chorus pedals out there for the money.
    Now on the other hand the Flanger is actually really good on bass. The Tu-2 tuner pedal is AWESOME. If you want a harsh metallic distortion the ODB-3 is pretty cool and i have also heard good things about their octave, phaser(crazy cycles), metal zone, and tremelo. Their delay pedals are suppost to be the best of the bunch as well.
    Boss pedals may be a bit noisier and sometimes not up to par with top dollar effects but they get the job done, are extremely durable, look cool, easily linkable, easy to find, easy to use (battert compartment is great), and are all around probably the best effects for newcomers.

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    There are better stuff than Boss, although better stuff usually costs more. E.g. the EBS UniChorus and BassIQ pedals eat Boss pedals for breakfast (IMO), but I don't know if your parents (or whoever buys your presents) feel like coughing up that much money.

Don't get me wrong, the Boss thingies should be good enough, but there are always better, and more expensive, toys. :)

4. there are ALWAYS better toys. Tc Electronics Stereo Chorus Flanger eats the UniChorus for breakfast and the BassIQ has nothing on the classic enevelope filters like the MuTron and Moogerfooger. But then again you are going to pay more money... and yes... i know there are better things out there then what i mentioned above.

5. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    Does Boss actually make an Envelope Filter? I don't remember them having one in their line. Unless you're talking about their Dynamic Wah, or whatever that pedal is called...

6. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    Thanks for your response.
    Which envelope filter/chorus would you recommend at a cost of about 250$ or less?
    I am especially interested in an envelope filter, by the way.

Maybe I'll get the flanger instead of the chorus, since I was not too sure which one to get in the first place, and since you said the flanger is pretty good.

7. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    $250 is a lot of money. You can get a "real" envelope filter for that. Like an Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron. Whatever you get don't buy the DOD FX-25B. I have one that I don't know why I bought and now it's just sitting in a drawer somewhere. Anybody want it for $30?

8. you could get either of those EBS pedals which are REALLY GOOD for LESS than 250 bucks... if you look hard you might be able to find BOTH of them for about that price used...you can probably get a TC electronics, KING OF ALL chorus/flanger, SCF used for about that as well... and as said above a great envelope filter can be bought for under 250 (got my moog for about half that :) )