Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bossa bass controls?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phogchris, Aug 18, 2003.

1. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I recently purchased a BOSSA OB-5, its a great bass, but I can't seem to figure out all of the knobs and trim pots. I have figured out that the toggle switch up combined with the blend knob clockwise gives me both inner single coils of the pups and just the neck pup when the toggle is down. With the blend counterclockwise and the toggle up I get both outer single coils, and the bridge pickup when toggle is down. That only took me an hour or so to figure out..lol!!:D

Now here's the problem, I have three, yes, 3!! trim pots in the cavity. I have figured that the 2 right next to each other control the volume of the single coils, meaning when the two outer coils are working, one trim pot turns them off and vice versa. Now the 3rd trim pot is the mystery. It seems to be a mid control of some kind, but there is a mid control on the bass, at least I think its a mid knob...it seeems like low mids. When I turn the 3rd trim pot, I seem to lose some high mids, but thats all I can figure out. I thought it was a frequency pot for the mid knob, but it doesn't do anything to change the fact that the knob bosts/cuts low mids...anyone have any solid info on what these controls really do???? I definitely could be wrong about a few of these things, but these are my guesses so far....

I am also considering selling the bass because the neck is too chunky for my taste, but I would like to know about the electronics before I do so. I am getting used to it and although the neck is weird for me, I enjoy playing it. Also, it seems millions of time more versatile than my 2 knob, 1 pickup ZON, which I can only seem to coax one particular sound out of, but that ZON neck is to die for....and a solid black body/black hardware is always "in style" so to speak.

2. phogchris

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    Here is a pic of the bass...i need to get new knobs for her!!

[​IMG]

3. phogchris

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    Closeup of the body...

[​IMG]

4. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    I had a tune bass a while ago and the electronics are identical (well a lot more than electronics is indentical ;))

Volume
    Blend
    Lows
    Mids
    Highs

The only addition to the tune electronics is the switch:
    When the gCoil Tap Balancer Switchh is in down position, either humbucking pickup can be selected via the Pickup Balance control in the normal way (i.e. neck or bridge). When the gCoil Tap Balancer Switchh is in up position, the Pickup Balance control selects both coils and the inner single coils.
    (form bassexchange site)

Now the internal trim pots:
    Notch Filter:|20dB at 850Hz
    R-Pickup Gain
    F-Pickup Gain

check there

Peace, JP

5. phogchris

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    Thank you so very much, JP!!!! That explains everything. I am glad to be a part of a site that has people who are so helpful!!

By the way, I listened to some samples of one of your basses today and I was completely impressed, very good work...I would be honored to own and play one one day.

6. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Hehe...you're welcome man! Tb is a great place indeed!

Thanks for the kind words. Which bass did you listen to?

Peace, JP