1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bossa Nova Real Book

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by thudfromafar, Sep 29, 2009.

1. thudfromafar

thudfromafar Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Chicago
    Is there such a thing? I would love something like this...

2. thudfromafar

Dec 12, 2007
    Chicago
    bump maybe?

3. Thud,

Try checking out Sher Music. I know they specialize in Latin Bass books, though I don't know if they have one specifically for B.N.

4. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    the Sher Latin book has a large percentage of Brazilian

5. thudfromafar

Dec 12, 2007
    Chicago
    thanks a lot guys

6. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    There is also an Antonio Carlos Jobim specific Aebersold set (that is different than the one linked to above). you'll find it if you search.

Once you know a half dozen of these songs, you'll be able to hear the changes to the others. There are patterns, though I've noticed that Luis Bonfa uses slightly different predictible patterns than Jobim. If you internalize Manha de Carnival and Gentle Rain, you'll be onto Bonfa's ways.

By the way, is that an Electric bass?

7. drew_bassmore

drew_bassmore Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2000
    San Francisco Bay Area

VOLUME 98 - ANTONIO CARLOS JOBIM

Troy:

Thanks I'll have to check that out too. I like that it uses guitar.

There seem to be many talented guitarists in my area, with not quite as good access to great piano players. But that could be a result of my level at the moment.

It would be fun to play some Bossa's and Samba's with somebody in the style of Bola Sete.

-drew

8. Paul Dwyer

Paul Dwyer

Jul 31, 2003
    Tokyo, Japan
    I recommend the Bossa Nova series songbooks by Almir Chediak. Authentic changes, Portuguese lyrics...
    Bola Sete's the ****!

9. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin Banned

Dec 11, 1999
    If you have an IPhone or Android phone, there is a great app called IReal Book. Just the changes and the ability to transpose (to any key) for over 800 tunes.

Developed by a fellow bass player. I really love this app.

Mike

10. xabicho

xabicho Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Long Beach, California
    Roger Guitars
    There is a Brazilian Real Book....Check the online version for download. I come as a part of the whole package. I believe it is around $20.00

11. Here you go. This was my favorite, and it comes with a CD.

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I've used the Latin Real Book extensively - but I would just say that a lot of the tunes are for quite big bands really - with horn sections, so some great stuff, but not that many bossas...?

So there are about 50 - 100 Salsa tunes, which are nothing like a Bossa and are really arrangements for big-ish bands not your typical small ensemble...?

Lots of great tunes - but very few bossas!

13. Such a deal. :bag:

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Are you thinking that xabicho might play guitar for you.....:eyebrow:

:p