For Sale Bossa OB6 - Handmade by Toshio Setozaki (most beautiful bass ever?)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by ThickSounD, Jun 17, 2021.

1. ThickSounD

ThickSounD Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    Price:
    Strings:
    United States
    DSC03675.JPG
    Hey TB fam, Thanks for checking out this post. Up for sale $2,500 Boss OB-6. Video Link for sound demo:

Back in 2012, I was lucky enough to acquire this gorgeous bass from Javi (xabicho)
    - a SoCal based talkbass member who puts on great Jazz concerts. Here is his Talkbass post from 2012: FS/FT Bossa OB6 NAMM builted

Also, prior to Javi's post, I found this post from who I think is the original Owner, purchased directly from incredible bassist Hussain Jiffry, who was the main California rep for Bossa basses (maybe still is?) Looks like this is a special model made specifically for NAMM show as a showcase instrument, and the price was about $3,500.

You can verify its the same bass because the picture links still work!

This bass was handmade by the man, the myth, Toshio Setozaki.

Its 34" scale, 19mm Spacing, Walnut body (though looks like ash to me) with Quilted Maple Top, weights less than my American fender 4 strings and lighter than may Fbass BN5 - I'm guessing about 9.5 lbs, but I'll update as soon as i can get to a scale.

My history with the bass: Back in around October 2012, I picked it up from Javi at Bass Player Live in Hollywood, where I was working the event on a PR team for Bass Player Magazine. We planned on the transaction ahead of time. Before I handed over the cash, I handed the bass over to Andrew Gouche : ) who happened to be right next to us. We plugged into a bass stack and he jammed a little, he said it played real nice. Soon after, I took this baby on tour from December 2012 to till about April 2013 it was a dream. Later that year I decided to just tour with my Fbass, becasue I just didn't need the 6th string playing reggae. 5 yes, but 6, at least for that current gig, not necessary. Ever since then I've only used it in the studio.

At some point, I decided to get crafty and switched out the preamp with a Fodera Standard Preamp. I didn't realize the original preamp had mid frequency pots on the board. That work was done by Tania at the LA Bass Exchange. Tonally it sounded cool, and gave me a little more control, but it had a nasty 50 cycle hum - not her fault. Bossa's pickups are something special, so they don't jive well with certain preamps. I decided to eventually put the old preamp back in, and then I asked myself why did I ever mess with it anyway. It sounds beautiful. We did create an active/passive switch location to accommodate the Fodera preamp, which is now covered by a black bolt screw and hex washer. The 18V Bossa preamp is very versatile, powerful, and refreshingly transparent. I've had lots of compliments about the clarity of tone on this bass.

Back in March 2020, I picked up an MTD at full retail cost :) I planned on paying for the bass with my 6-7 gigs a week, but then the pandemic hit, gigs vanished, and my MTD has just been riding a 0% interest credit card, which is soon due in full. So, I must thin the herd. I admit, this is the most beautiful bass i have ever owned, but I must let it go for $ purposes. Let me know if you have any questions. BTW, she plays like a dream.

Comes with the original Bossa gig bag. I prefer local sale, but can ship to lower 48 states for no additional charge.

DSC03675.JPG DSC03680.JPG DSC03683.JPG DSC03697.JPG DSC03695.JPG DSC03684.JPG DSC03686.JPG DSC03668.JPG DSC03667.JPG DSC03679.JPG DSC03675.JPG DSC03675.JPG DSC03675.JPG DSC03675.JPG

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  2. xabicho

xabicho Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Long Beach, California
    Roger Guitars
    Amazing tone. Great bass for recording or live gigs. If I would have the cash right now, I retrieve it.

3. ThickSounD

Mar 3, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    Thanks Javi! Yes its been a great bass for me. Now soon for someone else. Thank you!

xabicho likes this.
  4. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I'm such a sucker for blue basses, and that one is beautiful!!! GLWTS

5. ThickSounD

Mar 3, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    Thank you! Just added a video sound demo too! Tried to make it less than 2 minutes... ... 22 minutes later. lol

Ricky Caboverde likes this.
  6. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    sweet. Did you ever get an accurate weight?

7. ThickSounD

Mar 3, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    10.35lbs on the Fedex scale : ) Screen Shot 2021-07-07 at 12.10.39 PM.png

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021