Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bossa

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rontalsaurus, Aug 8, 2005.

1. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    Anyone here play a Bossa? Preferably an OB4 or 5. If so, how much did you pay, where'd you get it, what do you think of it?

2. I play two Bossa OB-5 basses, one fretted and one fretless (although the fretted one is also mysteriously labeled "Urban Jungle Bass", which is a different model altogether). They're both magnificent instruments. Very nice sound, excellent playability, nice, punchy B-string at a 34" scale. The fretless has a pao ferro fingerboard and the sweetest tone, but can also sound mean & growly when dialing in more of the neck pick-up. They are light to boot... and the fretless has a nice purplish color. Weird, but pretty, especially since the pick-up covers have matching colors.

I got them both second-hand at about $1200, which is a steal. New they go for about $2500. There is also an importer for the USA and there is more info on this site:

http://www.bossa-usa.com/

3. lionel

lionel

Sep 3, 2003
    Guadeloupe - FWI
    I own a OB5 ! very good bass, smart design, great playability and the most important : an incredible tone, The PU's /preamp are amazing . I read somewhere that the luthier himself make them (PU/pré).

about the price, I had mine via a trade . for a OB5 without any options it will cost you 2400 us $ new, but on the second hand market you can find very good deals.

4. KenToby

KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    I recently picked up a used UJB-5. Bossa basses are tough to come across used due to the fact that they are rare outside of Japan and those of us who buy them tend to hang on to them.
    Houssain (US distributor) tells me that that the pickups and electronics are the same throughout the entire line of basses therefore the only difference between the models is the shape and the woods. The unique coil tapping feature of the electronics makes the tones of these basses VERY versatile. I love the slap tones, but again I can dial in a nice deep rock tone as well.
    The string spacing is a set at about 18mm so it’s a nice compromise between the standard 19mm Fender spacing and the tighter 17mm found on many 5 strings - I love it!!!!
    The build is outstanding; I have yet to find a construction flaw!! Be patient and wait for a used one if you can; I got mine for $900, New is about $2400 + shipping from Japan.
    For more info email Houssain. He's a nice guy and a world class bass player as well!!!!

5. Among my basses I have two OB-5's. They're excellent basses with excellent build quality. IF you can find one used in mint condition I'd say $900 would be a killer price. The bassexchange.com usually seems to have a couple in stock. You can also contact Bossa-USA. The US rep is a great guy.
    http://www.bossa-usa.com/

6. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    There was just one on eBay that didn't sell, the starting bid was $650 and it was a 5 string. I would check there and see if it is being relisted.

7. Yeah.. sometimes the Bossas with a totally off color don't sell that well. I don't mind weird colors on a Bossa though... it's one of the hallmarks of that brand :D

8. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Here is a pic of my UJB - I thought it stood for Urban Jazz Bass?

[​IMG]

The bass played extremely well. I had to trade it in the end to help me buy a new car.

Cheers

9. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    The Bossas look interesting, esp their version of a Jazz bass... any idea if both the 4- and 5-string have the narrower 18mm spacing, or if they're (at least the 4-string) at 19mm?

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Chris H, that bass is sweeter than a sack of sugar!!! That is one cool take on the J bass!

11. Well, for completeness, here is a picture of my Bossa OB-5:

[​IMG]

It looks much nicer in reality... and it plays like a dream :D

12. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Thanks Dr. cheese, it looked even nicer in the flesh. It would have looked even nicer if it had a better looking headstock. I will try and get a pic of it but it looks kinda like a fender one with a bite taken out of the round bit on the end.

Love the look of that OB-5. I nearly had one a few months back. Still on the lookout. The upper horn looks very much like a Vigier Passion which is a good thing!

Cheers

13. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I was watching a red fretless one which did sell in the last minute for $650 I think.

Marshall

14. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland

FWIW....just tried one of these this afternoon at the The Gallery in London through a new MarkBass LM head into an Aguilar 210. WOW!!

I was trying out an EBS IQ and fell in love with the bass. Very nice. Never caught the price on it. I assume pricey.

15. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Bmc, that is in fact my bass at the gallery. It now has a J-retro installed but on a steel plate rather than the flamed maple one, which is a real shame. It used to be for sale at £700 odd but think it is around £500 now which is what i paid for it initially.

16. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I suspected it was yours at it looked identical and you don't see Bossa's everyday. Really nice bass. Why did you sell? Gas? Found something better? Is there anything you didn't like about the bass?

I think The Gallery website shows it at GBP 595, which seems to be a good price for that bass. I can't find any good info on those basses. Where are they made?

I didn't recognize the J-retro as I was focusing on the Bass IQ. I ended up buying a Bass Autowah which better met the sounds I was looking for at 1/2 the price. FWIW, The Gallery charged me GBP69 for the pedal. Later that day, I ended up on Denmark street where they were selling the pedals for GBP89 at all the stores.

Thanks for the reply. If I had a spare 600 in my pocket I would have grabbed that bass.

17. bad_andy

bad_andy

Sep 21, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    I have an OB-5 with a whammy bar bridge and it's my main gigging bass. It's got an 18 volt preamp that's spoiled me for tonal flexibility. The B string on it sounded and felt better than everything I compared it to in a high end Nashville bass room until I got to a $4500 Ken Smith. (This was in late 1996.) I've seen them go for stupid cheap when they pop up used. If you can't tell, I really like mine! :bassist:

18. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Bmc, I sold the bass along with a Marleaux Consat 4 as I needed a new car, and had picked a used Vigier Passion series II which in my opinion is the best bass ever lol.

Andy, got a pic of that OB-5?