Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BOSSBOSSBOSS I AM A BAAAD MAN.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by register2, Dec 19, 2004.

1. register2

register2

Nov 15, 2003
    So, I have a thing with how my bass sounds, insomuch as I am fairly obsessive-compulsive about it. But it just occured to me that I may have really bad taste in bass sounds. To explain:

I have gone through many bass/amp combinations looking for a good tone, and I recently discovered the BOSS COMPRESSOR/SUSTAINER pedal, and it really is nailing what I was looking for. I really like to turn the Sustain and Attack up high, and it sounds totally rad. Does this make me a bad person? Do I have tacky bad taste? And don't give me any of that "If it makes you happy" business, because I know that there are international universal rules of ethics when it comes to bass tone, and I know that you people know it. So tell me: Do I have as much taste as Bootsy Collins' fashion advisor? ZINNGGGG.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Nothing wrong with using BOSS stompboxes, they're as good as anything else out there, if that's what you're looking for. Over the years, I've used many many BOSS boxes, and miss my BF-2 very much. There are some sounds you can only get out of a BOSS, so where's the trouble?

3. well, if its the sound you are looking for, what is the problem?

4. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    No there aren't. If that box gives you the sound you hear in your head, then run with it. Only you know what that sound is, and only you will be able to know when you've found it.

5. register2

register2

Nov 15, 2003
    I don't know... I guess I felt that compressing it so hard was something that would suck the dynamics out of my playing (which it kind of does), and was basically the equivalent of wearing pink leopard skin tights or seriously enjoying the National Enquirer (I apologize to all my leopard clad Enquirer-reading brethren), and that I was looking for a bass sound that most people found unattractive (and music is generally made to be listened to by 'most people,' not just myself). But, if you people think it's o.k., then I will carry my little blue fart box around with me from here until I get sick of it.

6. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Ever tried the BOSS LMB-3 Limiter/Enhancer? I played one, bought one :D

7. register2

register2

Nov 15, 2003
    I tried one and could barely tell what it did. I like the Compressor because of the way it fattens up the sound and makes the attack sound much more percussive. What did you like about the L/Enhancer?

8. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    +1 ;)

9. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    It fattened up the thin sound and it cut thru the mix better. Full on the enhance knob is absolutly a must if you play slap but that's not what i'm gonna use it for, if i did i would! :cool:

10. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    It's a stompbox, you can switch it off for passages where more dynamics are called for :) In the meantime, you are correct that music is most frequently for the community and not the individual. But as a musician and an artist, sometimes you have to show your audience something new. Look at the artists that we admire in any discipline, they did things that were new and unexpected. The point is, as long as you and/or your band think your sound fits with what you are doing, go with it and don't worry.