1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Boss's ODB-3 Demo

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by spego, Jan 4, 2012.

1. spego

spego

Dec 1, 2008
    Hazleton PA
    Has anyone been able to tune in the sound Boss gets in their demo here? To me this sounds great......I see a lot of mixed reviews and other youtube videos that sound HORRIBLE though.

I'm thinking about checking out one at a local shop as its only $50 used. I'm just curious to know if this demo is really what I can expect out of it. I play prosteels on Warwick and Spector basses.....so I naturally have a bright tone....which this bass here sounds like it does too....but they never let you hear the uneffected tone.

ODB-3 Bass OverDrive [BOSS Sound Check] - YouTube

2. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Apr 9, 2011
    I love my odb-3, many people hate it but I'm a fan. The boss samples are pretty accurate in my opinion, but I would try before you buy because it may not be your cup of tea. I didn't try before I bought but I loved it anyway because as soon as I heard the samples I was hooked!!

3. Here's both the effected and un-effected tones. I turned it off on the softer parts:

MP3 Player SoundClick

4. taurus1

taurus1

Sep 13, 2006
    Vancouver B.C.
    it seems to be a polarizing love/hate type pedal. I think it's a really flexible no BS pedal, I love it.

5. The pedal produces hissing noise like most gain pedals; for me it is more than I could tolerate.

However, thanks FaithNoMan you did make me rethink its value, nice clips.

6. Haha, that's cool man - thanks for the compliment. That was a few years back, the ODB is long gone, and at the time I hated me tone there. My friend(who did drums and one of the guitar tracks) kept trying to convince me it sounded good at the time.

I'm a huge fan of the B3k now... but going back to that clip, the ODB-3 really can hold its' own.

7. spego

spego

Dec 1, 2008
    Hazleton PA
    Thanks for the clip. I already use a old russian muff through a LS2.......so I have a sweet warm deep fuzz happening......and I have a M80 i use already blended with a very slight distortion......which by itself is very Toolish clean (I keep this on all the time). I was just looking for an additional OD to dirty up a few tunes......without a full blown fuzz. I guess this pedal would do so but need to keep the blend in check. I could pull back the distortion and up the level on the muff and probably get some blended drive out of it that would sound good......but I would have to remember to keep changing the settings back and forth. The muff produces hum too.....so I'm used to that.

I'm gonna have to stop in and play it for a while and see what I think. Thanks all!

8. spego

spego

Dec 1, 2008
    Hazleton PA
    The B3k does sound awesome.....just not looking to dump that much cash on one.....might only use it a few tunes a night. Totally agree though that pedal is killer(from the demos)!

9. PauBass

PauBass

Apr 25, 2006
    Brighton, UK
    Nice tone!
    Would you mind sharing your ODB settings, please? ;)

10. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

Feb 8, 2011
    New Zealand
    i used to have one and never had any problems with it... did 6 months worth of gigs with it.. but it the tones werent what i was after. used the money i got for it to buy a case of beer.

11. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I love my boss ODB-3, I found it much better than the other stompbox distortion I have used, you can sculpt the tone fairly nice. I like with my chorus for that metallic-ish Peter Steele sound. Plus you can beat the s**t out of it and it will still work. Well worth the price of admission. I have owned my happily for years, granted I'm in the process right now of getting a B3k, I might still keep the boss around out of love.
    Granted I'm one of those bias douchebags, I own a stack of boss pedals, I love them.

12. spego

spego

Dec 1, 2008
    Hazleton PA
    All my other boxes besides the muff and M80 are Boss too.....also love them.....they do take a beating. Thanks!

13. spego

spego

Dec 1, 2008
    Hazleton PA
    hmm now i hear the clips of the MXR Blowtorch.....me REALLY like!!! I do not like the 18v though.....my whole board is powered off one 1spot right now. :(

14. EvilJekyll

EvilJekyll

Dec 23, 2011
    NJ
    I have an ODB-3 that I modded since I felt that the bass was sapped even with the pedal full bass. Aside from that it's a really good pedal for its price. I got mine for under 50 so YMMV. It really depends on what tone you're after though. I'm also one of those set and forget pedal people, as I didn't think it got fuzzy enough at lower levels, but it can do a decent blend. It is a bit noisy, but only if you're not playing anything, and functions pretty well as a guitar pedal as well in case you don't like it, you can always toss it to your guitarist if that's their thing.

Here's a sample of a bass riff from one of my songs, with and without fuzz:
    Http://www.paintmash.com/Random Stuff/odbcomparison.mp3
    I had done it because I wanted to see the difference in new pickups, and used this riff because it crosses all the strings. Unfortunately the recorder was a bit close so it's a bit loud and not as clear as it could have been.

15. spego

spego

Dec 1, 2008
    Hazleton PA
    thanks for the info!! I got a great deal on a blowtorch I'm gonna try it out first. It seems the torch is more of a "overdrive" than what I hear out of the ODB3......the boss sounds more like a distortion than an od to me. I still wanna stop in and try it out though.....who knows I may just end up with both. hehe

16. taurus1

taurus1

Sep 13, 2006
    Vancouver B.C.
    the Blowtorch is more of a fuzz than an overdrive imo, I only tried one briefly I must admit. I've only heard one demo on youtube that does the ODB-3 justice, every other one I've heard is pretty bad, it's a pedal that can sound awful or amazing.

17. spego

spego

Dec 1, 2008
    Hazleton PA
    ok good to know.....I'm definately going to try them both out and see what sounds better. I was comparing the Boss demo vs. the MXR demo on youtube (the actual marketing demos) to make my assumption of which sounds more "overdrive" to me. I will of course try both out and see what happens.