Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boston accoustic woofers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ras1983, Mar 26, 2005.

1. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    i have a boston accoustic 12" sub rated at 250W RMS at 4ohms. do you think that it would make a good speaker for a custom made 1x12 cab? i used to have it in my car and it was UNBELIEVABLY bullet proof, INCREDIBLY loud and very crisp.

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Its sensitivity is at least 10dB too low. That means you'd need to drive it with 2500 watts to give adequate output.

3. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    i didn't realise that car subs were different to the subs used in bass amps.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Subs typically aren't used in bass guitar amplification. The drivers that handle low frequencies in BG amplification typically go much higher in frequency response than a car sub designed to not go higher than 200hz.

5. It would work just fine....

If you play a lot of gigs in your car.

What fills up a small enclosed area like a car with thunderous bass won't work very well in a larger area, like a garage, let alone a club. They're designed for totally different applications.

Randy

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Brad & Steve nailed this one down. In bass most of the time you want to reproduce from 30Hz(give or take) to16kHz (giv or take). Don't expect anything good to come of it when playing your bass through it :D..

Ray

7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Subs (to be technically correct drivers intended for sub-woofer applications) aren't used in bass amps. They use high efficiency woofers that trade low bass response for high sensitivity. Subwoofers can be used to gain deeper extension than regular speakers are capable of, but they must be properly designed to operate with adequate sound pressure levels.

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

They'd sound like crap in a car without additional drivers to cover the missing frequency range. Unless you're a hard core Dub bassist;)