1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Boston area Talkbassers :)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Rogatien, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Rogatien

Rogatien

Mar 18, 2019
    Canada
    I'll be in Boston next weekend to attend Red Sox vs Orioles (sat aug 17th), from Montreal it's not a huge drive, so I'll be there way before the game. Aside from Guitar Center - yes I want to have a look at music stores, bass stores if any - what do you good folks recommend? I'm a first timer in Boston, food and stuff to see inputs are welcome. I'll be staying in Cambridge (Porter Square area), going to Boston primarily for the game but open to do/see other interesting things that Boston has to offer.

All inputs are welcome, thx all!

2. 3wavylines

3wavylines Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2007
    Boston
    I have had good experiences at South Shore Music in Weymouth:

Basses

3. Rogatien

Rogatien

Mar 18, 2019
    Canada
    Thx man, will look into it!

4. 3wavylines

3wavylines Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2007
    Boston
    Rogatien likes this.
  5. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Mr. Music, 128 Harvard Ave., Allston. They usually have some interesting stuff in stock.

Rogatien, dannylectro and The Owl like this.
  6. Rogatien

Rogatien

Mar 18, 2019
    Canada
    Thx guys, appreciate it!!!

3wavylines likes this.
  7. anechoic

anechoic

Oct 31, 2005
    Shirley, MA
    I would definitely second the suggestions to visit South Shore Music. The staff there are super cool and will happily keep handing you high end basses to try out until you get tired of playing. They're also the only Bergantino dealer around here that I know of. My wife bought a Forte and a HDN210 from them earlier this year which is a fantastic sounding amp/cab.

In the same area, there is also Matt's Music (which I recall was a bit more guitar centric) and the Braintree Guitar Center (yeah, it's just Guitar center, but sometimes some interesting used gear comes through, and it's a convenient place to pee).

How are you getting from Montreal to Boston? From what I'm seeing on Google maps one route has you picking up 93 south near Manchester, NH. If that's how you're going, Manchester Music Mill is absolutely worth a stop (and not far from the highway). It doesn't look like much from the street but the inside of the store is pretty big and they have a huge selection of new and used gear, probably the biggest inventory of anyone in the area. Also, if you keep driving past Music Mill toward downtown, Manchester has tons of restaurants. And half a dozen good places to grab a coffee for the road that aren't Starbucks or Dunkin. Manchester also has a Guitar Center, but I would prioritize Music Mill any time (and the restaurants on that side of town tend more toward big chains).

If you want to post up what route you're driving, I can tell you what's worth checking out along the way. I've been to nearly every music store in eastern New England at some point.

Rogatien, 3wavylines and KPJ like this.
  8. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    Get a meal at Highland Kitchen in Somerville.

Heck, anywhere in Somerville. It’s nearly impossible to get a bad meal there.

Rogatien likes this.
  9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I took the Fingers girls to their first Fenway game a few weeks ago. It's an awesome place to see a game!!! Go Sox!!!

Our seats were right at the Monster!
    20190626_162124. The girls got to run the bases! So we got to go on the field to retrieve them!
    20190626_171208.
    The older Fingers child in the Ted William's seat!
    20190626_111753.
    Fingers girls at the Pesky Pole!
    20190626_114115.
    It was Lego day.... so Lego Papi was cool.
    20190626_110343.

OK, sorry for the slight derail. The GC at Fenway is literally 100 yards from the park. So it's convenient. But I found it to be sort of a nothing burger. Perhaps some used stuff when you're there will be more exciting than what they had a month ago.

Have fun! Boston is a great town!

Rogatien likes this.
  10. Rogatien

Rogatien

Mar 18, 2019
    Canada
    Wow that's awesome information, thx man!! I'm taking a lot of notes right now! I will be coming in the US by Vermont and then go through NH, so yes I'm picking up 93 south. I will be stopping by Music Mill for sure and I'll take your advice about Manchester to grab a coffee :) Thank you very much, this is a lot more than expected!

11. Rogatien

Rogatien

Mar 18, 2019
    Canada
    Thx man, I'll make time to go eat anywhere in Somerville :) Thx again, appreciate it!

12. Rogatien

Rogatien

Mar 18, 2019
    Canada
    Will do sir, thank you very much!!

13. Rogatien

Rogatien

Mar 18, 2019
    Canada
    Great pics man!! I'll be center field, first few rows of the bleachers. Apparently the "social area" hahaha! It's gonna be a lot of fun, Boston sounds and looks like a beautiful and fun city!

two fingers likes this.
  14. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Being a Knajun, you might not be way into US history. But if you are, there's plenty to see. I literally got goosebumps standing in Paul Revere's house.

And Fenway is it's own historic adventure.

Have fun!

15. Rogatien

Rogatien

Mar 18, 2019
    Canada
    Being naturally curious, I think I know a bit about some of US history and Boston has loads of history. I'm just sad I can't stay longer... This time. Pretty sure I'll come back in a near future.

Fenway dude, that's a lot of history right there :)

two fingers likes this.