1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Boston area unfretted conversion?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by RustyAxe, Sep 18, 2008.

1. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I'd really love to convert my Thunderchief to fretless. I read (somewhere) about a shop that specializes in conversions of fretted necks to unfretted, with epoxy finishes applied. Seems it was in the Boston area (there's a shop in NY, but he has a TWO YEAR waiting list). Anyone got any idea? Thanks!

2. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I don't know about the specific place you're asking about, but I would recommend Jim Mouradian in Porter Square, Cambridge. He's superb!

Mouradian Guitar Repair
    1904 Massachusetts Ave
    Cambridge, MA 02140
    Phone: (617) 547-5454

3. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    If you can't get in anyware, John Ingrams in Arnold Md is a monster.

4. biggreddbass

biggreddbass

Jun 18, 2008
    Call Wolf Ginandes @ MISC (Musical Instrument Service Center)
    It's around the corner from Berklee.
    The only guys in Boston i would trust are him & Jim Mouradian.
    They're both great bass players who do great work.

5. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    I'd add Craig Jones of Bay State Vintage Guitars to that list. He was my main instrument tech for seven years, did all the work on 5 or 6 of my basses & 1 or 2 guitars. Not sure if he's still there (I haven't been back to Boston since 2000) but he was on Huntington Avenue across the street from the main NEC building.

6. FenderP

FenderP Supporting Member

May 7, 2005
    Mouradian just moved - check out the Cambridge Music site. They're usually pretty busy so give a call and make an appointment. Jon or Jim are both excellent and I wouldn't take my basses anywhere else.