1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Boston bass tech - who's your guy?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by zappatalist, Mar 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. zappatalist

zappatalist Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Looking for someone to do some work on my new (to me) bass.

I've been going to Steve Morrill for years (decades?) for my guitar work. I'd be happy to go to him again for bass-related work, just wondering if there's anyone else in the area I should consider?

I've tried some of the other folks in and around Boston, with varying/disappointing results, but that was all for strictly-guitar work.

2. Twocan

Twocan Living the Dream

Oct 5, 2009
    MA
    For guitar repair, the late Jim Mouradian was fantastic. His son is now running the business and is probably worth a try! http://mouradianguitar.com/

Not directly on point, but for Tube amp repair Cranky's in Mansfield was great for me (restored my 1967 Fender Music Master).

ErikP.Bass and zappatalist like this.
  3. zappatalist

Sep 25, 2007
    Thanks! Yep, I love the Mouradians (RIP Jim), and their work is exceptional, but man the wait/turnaround time is just too much for me right now (at least it was the last time I visited them).

4. Edmang

Edmang Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2013
    MA
    Not Boston, but 40 minutes away. Does great work.

Welcome

zappatalist likes this.
  5. Jonithen

Jonithen

Dec 3, 2012
    Seacoast NH
    Jon's a cool guy, very knowledgable and he's taken great care of my instruments. I wouldn't bat an eye at going to him for some work.

ErikP.Bass and zappatalist like this.
  6. zappatalist

Sep 25, 2007
    Appreciate the help, folks.

Anyone else have someone to recommend? I'm south of the city, so Lowell/Winchester is kind of a hike for me.

7. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I haven't lived in Boston for 17 years, but when I did my guy was Craig Jones of Bay State Vintage Guitars on Huntington Avenue. Looks like he's still there: Bay State Vintage Guitars | ,

Mark Herbert is also a genius, though I'm not sure how to contact him anymore.

edit: Try Mark Herbert/Guitar Works 617-731-3995

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    zappatalist likes this.
  8. jhb138

jhb138

Sep 14, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Dean Forman/GuitarTec Repair
    c/o Barnstorm Music, Medway MA.

Screenshot_20170404-012508.

zappatalist likes this.
  9. zappatalist likes this.