Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boston DB shops

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Pedro C, Dec 14, 2002.

1. Pedro C

Pedro C

Dec 5, 2002
    MA
    Looking for new or used DB in Boston. Know of any shops?

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    (All Hail) Bob Gollihur's Luthier directory lists three or four shops in MA. Check it out:

http://www.urbbob.com/luthiers.html

And since you've already let the cat out of the bag with this post, why not fill out your location in your profile? Good luck.

3. chaurett

chaurett Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Storrs Mansfield
    Hey Pedro. There's a real lack of good bass shops in Boston. Boston String Instruments (corner of Huntington and Gainsboro) has a few but they are pretty overpriced. How much are you looking to spend? I've seen a couple of private advertisments around town ranging from $4,000-$12,000.

4. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    My repairer, Mark Carlsen, sometimes has some instruments which people are selling. He's a square guy and a good player, too. Check the phone book for his number.

5. Pedro C

Pedro C

Dec 5, 2002
    MA
    I've driven by the shop on Huntington and was planning on going in sometime. I was afraid that they'd be out of my range.
    Maybe NYC isn't such a bad idea.
    Thanks for the info.
    -Pedro

6. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Of course it is worth it to travel in this case. If all you need is a seam repair or a soundpost adjustment-well, driving 4 hrs. might be a little anal. But if your gonna spend a huge chunk of your life cradling your body around this thing its a no-brainer. Also-for repair....why wouldn't someone take a bass 2 hundred miles away if your facing a 5k restoration? Let's see--do it in town at the nitwit place...or drive 4 hrs, and get it done right?

7. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    I agree that it's worth travel to get your bass fixed right -- It's a two-hour trip from Maine to Boston to go to Mark Carlsen. But I've gotta say it's hard for me to think of Mark as a nitwit.

8. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    I sincerely hope that my above post was not taken to infer that Mark is a nitwit. He has been friendly towards me and I couldn't possibly say anything negative about him. I was just heavyhandedly commenting in general towards Ed's post. Many players just wind up going to the closest place out of convenience. In the case of buying a bass or restoring one it seems to me that travel should be way down the list in terms of priority.

9. chaurett

chaurett Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Storrs Mansfield
    I would have to second (or third...) the above opinion. Marc is great for repair but, if you are looking to buy then make the trip to NYC. There's nothing in Boston that can compare with Kolstien or Gage.

10. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I used to live in Boston; that's where I got addicted to hide glue. Mark Carlsen is the new guy up there, and he's legit. John Styklunas does some setup and repair work, as well. All I will say about the Boston Strings shop on Huntington... spend your money somewhere else.

11. Check out the Nahrmann Bass Shop - he always seems to have a large number of basses around, ready to try...

- Wil

12. Flatbass11

Flatbass11 Supporting Member

May 29, 2001
    Medford, MA
    I second Volker Nahrmann!

He hooked me up with my first DB, a Korean model that he sets up. He's very knowledgeable and willing to work with you at any level. He also has a very good selection of basses to choose from. Very nice guy too. He's in Billerica.