Boston GC Vintage Ripoffs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tunaman, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Is it just me or does the GC in Boston have tons of supposedly vintage Fenders way over priced with tons of mods? I mean, these things don't look legitimate at all nor do they play well.
    What is it that classifies vintage anyway? A neck & a body? Sounds fishy to me.
  2. spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Last time I was in there they had a 6o something jazz (red I think w/ a matching head). I recall that being around 4000 somewhere...
  3. Used Fender dealers can sometimes be as unscrupulous as used car dealers...

buyers MUST be careful...

Vintage Fenders are cool (as are vintage cars) just watch out you don't get stuck with an Edsel.
  4. Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    I've come across SO many shady vintage pieces its crazy. I was also wondering about a 78 P at Mr. Music. CG had one vintage jazz for 9500.00. Not sure of the year but come on... 10K?
  5. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    The vintage Fenders aren't the only funny "deals" they've got.
    Besides all the nonworking basses, they've had that " 85 Tobias" (well technically it is a Tobias) that for a very long time. Wonder why nobody wants to pay $2400 for it? Maybe because it's a Gibson... But then a Gibson Tobias made in 1985 must have taken a time machine to make, so it should be expensive. Maybe that's the thinking behind the pricing of the "vintage" instruments too.