Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boston Jazz Scene Continues To Decline

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by brianrost, Dec 15, 2005.

1. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Just got the latest emailing from the Regattabar, one of only two clubs in Boston that books national jazz acts. Coming up in the next few months:

Lee Roy Parnell...yep, a COUNTRY singer! :crying:

The Commitments :rollno:

Bo Diddley :scowl:

2. Brian,

Hmm, I grew up in the Hub. Back when I was in school, the premier club was the Jazz Workshop on Boylston St. Its hard to believe that with Berklee churning out so many monsters there are only 2 clubs?!?!

3. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Man, yer dissin' Bo Diddley? :rolleyes:

I get your point, though. Are these three acts the only thing they are booking? There are several clubs across the U.S. the book jazz, folk, blues, alt-pop, and (gasp) even country. It's easier for them to stay in business by catering to a variety of audiences. Kind of like it's easier to pay the rent if you can play a variety of bass styles.

4. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
  5. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Is Sculler's one of the two? I only know of it because of the first Superbass album.
    :)

6. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2005
    Cambridge MA
    There's lots of great jazz in Boston. You don't have to go to the big clubs to hear it.

7. philly

philly

Nov 20, 2004
    nyc
    I was in boston over the weekend. Very little happening for jazz. It's certainly not like it was in the seventies. There might be a few places where local guys play and I'm sure there are some good one's, but if you want to see heavies I think you're very limited. Especially in the lesser known heavy division, if you know what I mean. Then again I'm in New york where a good number of those guys live and you can sometimes catch them in very low key situations, often away from the clubs. Maybe I'm spoiled.

Even here if you want to see good music you gotta do some research, unless you want to drop some serious cash at the blue note every night.

I'm sure the guys who where in new york "in the day" lament it's decline as well.

8. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    But Ron Carter is coming in Feb. Brad Mehldau in March. Ahmad Jamal in April. It's not everynight but . . .