Boston Music Stores?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joshua Pickenpaugh, Jun 22, 2002.

1. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    The Midwest of USA
    Hey All...I'll be in Boston mid-September, what are the hip musical equipment stores in town? Specifically, dealers of new and/or used Modulus stuff and misc.effects recomendations would be highly thanked upon. Web sites? Thanks all!!!
  2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    There is a Guitar Center on Comm. Ave. I have seen a few Moduli in there before. Other brands they stock include Warwick, Ken Smith (I think they still sell these) Pedulla, and a couple Zon's amongst many others.

I am actually going there tomorrow. I'll see what they have in stock for Modulus.
  3. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    The Midwest of USA
    Thanks! Are there any bass specific stores, Like Seattle's BassNW or Orlando's Bass Central?

Also, any pawn shops that have used gear not to be missed recomended?
  4. allston brighton area i belive those are the names of the two cities.theres a music shop called mr. music.they have alot of used basses in there and what not.they had a fender jazz bass with no control plate with rubber knobs never seen that befor. they all so get alot of the short scale fenders basses.they have music mans g&l and ever othere bass u can think of .i saw a ritter bass in there jst depends when u go in there. i saw a thumb from the 80s in there for 600 only thing that was bad oon it was it had diffent tunners.the guitar center from above is pretty good but they kicked me out for playing nib to loud on a gt-7 with a guiatar player playing too loud.
  5. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Unfortunately, no there is not. I have been hoping for one for a long time.

During my trip to GC today, I did not notice any Modulus basses hanging around. But I do remember seeing a couple before. Maybe by the time you arrive here, there will be some in stock.
  6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    When I was in Boston for the Breklee Basslines program I went to a store called Daddy's Junky Music with about 15 other bassist.

They kicked us out after about half an hour of pure bass madness!

It was pretty cool and had an ok selection. I dont remember if they had Modulus though since I didnt even check.

7. BenF

Mar 29, 2001
    Boston area
    For Modulus..

Mars Music--14 McGrath Hwy, Somerville. You can get to it on the Green line-- They stock Modulus basses, I saw several new ones and a used 4 string a week ago.

There's also...

Cambridge Music: --Two stores, one near Berklee on Hemenway St. and one in Porter Sq. in Cambridge-- Lots and lots of oddball used gear. Used high-end gear sometimes shows up in the Boston store, but it goes fast (I've seen Walter Woods amps, Sukop Basses, Sadowsky's, Status Basses etc...). The Boston store carries Aguilar and a small selection of boutique effects like Zvex. Their supply of Aguilar fluctuates, I think they just have a 680 preamp and one cab in stock right now. Oh yeah, they've got a new EBS 4x10 in stock that kicks butt.

Rock City Guitar: --Just outside of Davis Sq. on Elm St in Sommerville.-- A small store with some high-end gear, Bergantino cabs, Orange amps, Lull basses, Roscoe's, a few Fbasses, etc.. and some vintage gear. I think they're going to start carrying Tyler basses soon. They've got a good selection of used amps and basses. The staff is really helpful and easy to deal with (nope, don't work there, I just shop there.)

Boston Guitar Works:--In Brockton..if you don't have a car, forget it.-- Lots and lots of effects (EBS, Fulltone, Carl Thompson, etc...). I saw a Maestro Brassmaster there once, it sounded sweet but the $1500 price tag scared me off. The selection of basses isn' t very big, a couple of Alembics, Laklands and Ken Smiths the last time I was there. I think they're an EBS dealer.

Bay State Vintage Guitars--On Huntington Ave. Near Northeastern Univ.--Never been in there, but judging by the name they might have some vintage Fender basses (sorry, not that helpful but at least you know it's there.)

Boston Stringed Inst. Company--In the same building as Bay State Vintage--Acoustic basses.

I'll try to think of some more...
  8. i was at mr music in allstton (i cant rember how to spell it)they had a 72 jazz bass mint a 77 great but normale paint wear and like 2 othere 70's jazzers.they allso had a reissue 62 with no covers and no mutes. i didnt want to leave after playing them with a beat up but great souding ampeg b-15.they have one or two real rays .one olp and some jay tursers.they have many new fenders.and mre basses then u think in that area could be.they also have alot of bass amps with all there basses in area in the back 10 x10 iam sure smaller. you guys have to check this place out if your near boston.