Botched delivery?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jerry J, Jun 30, 2003.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Just to think that 5 days ago this was a new box. The UPS guy was dragging the box up my driveway by the hole in the box.

I haven't opened it yet to assess any of the possible damage. And I've contacted the proprietor to get his input but he was closed for the day.

Has anyone experienced a similar situation,.....silly question, huh?

2. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    This was the handle for dragging the poor thing. :eek:
  3. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    jesus f'n christ!:eek:

man, ups put a small dent in my epi 410 and the box still looked pretty good. im scared to think of what the cab looks like inside of there.
  4. pitbill

Mar 27, 2003
    Bluefield, WV
    OOOUUUCHH! Man, I hate seeing boxes show up like that. It would be my strong guess it didn't originally start out like that. My local UPS dropoff won't let me have anything loose on the boxes I ship. Makes you wonder what kennel of Rottweilers they threw that box in to use as a chew toy in between dropoff and delivery?

I ordered a speaker cabinet one time and my UPS guy made ME go to his truck and carry it myself because he was too lazy of course (he usually pulls up and just blows his horn so he doesn't have to get out of his truck), but he then pointed out a little orange sticker UPS put on the box stating it was over 70lbs. The UPS guy then said "if it had that sticker on it he was supposed to have an extra UPS guy to help him with it." Since he didn't have an extra employee with him he supposedly "had authorization to drag it, roll it, push it or do whatever he wanted to." Huh? Does he think I'm that stupid? It was actually just a suddel way of him to imply that if I ordered anything like that again, he would destroy it intentionally and I would regret making him do any heavy lifting. I'm pretty sick of "What Brown Can Do For Me" (UPS that is.)

Hope everthing turns out o.k. for ya! :)
  5. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Hmmm...that looks a lot like the box I received from Pegasus Amps for my new 4x10 cab a few years back. Maybe a bit nicer!:eek:

The common ground? UPS GROUND! I always try to use Fedex when I can and have had no problems yet, but I'm sure someone out there has. Good luck with yer cab Jerry!
  6. okay..that sucks. It's good you took pictures..and came to the TB community to get some ideas/sympathy

BUT MAN LOOK AT THAT BOX :D Jeezus. It looks like it's been in a rock tumbler. Simply outstanding

I'd be spliting some wigs though. I think you have a good case.
  7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I don't know that I would have accepted delivery in that condition... eeek.
  8. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Has'nt that moron delivery man ever heard of a hand truck?:spit:
  9. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Ok as a foreigner lookin into the US delivery system, can I point out the obvious. Every single one of these complaints involve one company - UPS. I couldn't even tell you the name of any other US delivery companies because no one posts complaints about any other USs delivery companies.

Is it as simple as making a decision to boycott that particular company?
  10. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    That's exactly what happened to my Aguilar GS410:

Took pics, contacted the retailer, sent the thing back to the seller, and after a month or so, had a brand spanking new GS410. Yay.

Now my busted one is on ebay being sold by some wholesaler. Now we know what UPS does with claims!

sorry that had to happen to you jerry - hopefully my new T410 arrives safely!! everyone cross your fingers :)

JJ - let me know if you need more info about how I handled the claim and all that.
  11. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I had a bad shipping experience with UPS...but not THAT bad!!! I will definitely go with Fedex the next time I ship something valuable, based on what I've heard here.
  12. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Oh yeah, FedEx tends to cost less too.
  13. I'm so sorry to see that happen to you, Jerry. I hope that everything turns out for the best.
  14. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    A lot depends on the driver on your route. I've never had problem with UPS but Fedex ground demolished an SM900 I got on ebay (never mind that they left it at the wrong house for a day in the rain). The Airborne driver simply doesn't show up unless I call and complain.

That box looks like...well, crap. Good luck.
  15. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I always fly FedEx. I've not had any problems like. A few times they've been slack on the delivery and shipping, but never have they done any damage or done anything worse, than holding up a delivery for a bit. Other than that, I'm good by them.

I was talking with a guy at BNW (this was like 3 years ago) and we were talking shipping on an Ampeg 8x10 that never materialized, but he said he'd rather pay to ship FedEx than have the customer pay for UPS. Well, it might have been an exageration, but that tell ya something, dunnit?
  16. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Im impressed that a box can withstand that much damage! :eek: Follow it up, call the company, and keep calling them jsut to annoy them, and make sure they know your pi**ed off. tell them how much the thing in that box was worht, and hell, threaten to sue :D
  17. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I got the shipment late in the afternoon and I was just about ready to go to work so I haven't really been able to look at it. I haven't opened the box but peered in where the one corner was ripped open. It looks kinda ok other than a depression(ding) on the front corner of the cabinet.

I've never had this situation before and must have never paid attention to the posts around here on what people have done in with this kind of thing. I thought about refusing shipment but wasn't certain what the right thing to do was.

My Aguilar GS-410 came all the way from NYC, by UPS Ground, and the box still looks brand new. The corner packing for the Agi was closed cell foam at all of the corners and just a sheet of plastic around the cabinet.

This one was never opened at the shop, where I bought, it so they just forwarded out to me. I do think that the corners could have been a bit better protected and there could have been a bit more space between the cab and the box. I'll probably shoot an email and photos to the manufacturer just so he can have some feedback. Packaging is really an art but it has to be economical enough to be practical

I've shipped out several heavy cabinets lately and I bubble wrap the inside like crazy after I've wrapped the cab in a nice thick plastic bag. I then try to double the bottom and sides of the box with another piece of cardboard so that nothing can really poke through. But that's me.

The UPS guy noted that the box showed considerable damage. I'll talk to the seller this morning and find out how to file a claim or just what I should do. I'm really bummed out about the whole thing as I've been looking forward to using this cabinet. PLUS, now I'm very leary of using UPS after having such great luck with them. I have had some bad luck with FedEx Ground.

I just thought of something. Now I'm probably going to have to buy a new box, pack and ship this cab somewhere, right? Now I'm REALLY BUMMED!

Todd, thanks, I might consult you on this. It looks like you opened the box to assess the damage.
  18. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    HMM....first guess....68, 69 cuda?

19. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer

Part of the claims process (at least when Fedex did their's for the SM900) is an assessment of the damage. You'll probably have a pickup at the location where it was dropped off, and they would want the box in it's existing condition to show the insurance folks.

Generally the recipient is not left holding the bag.
  20. Did you get a chance to talk to the delivery person? In a case like that, I'd have refused delivery. A while back I had a Calzone case shipped to me Fedex freight. The freight guy and I unpacked the case on the spot and we both inspected it. I found a big gash on one side. The Fedex guy suggested to me that I refuse delivery. So I did.