1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Both basses break in one day? Really?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by andrewd, Mar 3, 2008.

1. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Tonight at rehearsal the B string tuner on my Carvin 6 string broke. I noticed that it was really flat, but it wouldn't tune up anymore. Apparently the gear was completely stripped. I took it off and ordered a Hipshot Ultralight from best bass gear. Probably a better option than what Carvin has.

I was too confused to keep playing without a B string so I switched to my NS WAV for the rest. After a song or two, the bass started twisting around in the tripod while I was playing, and I discovered that the top piece had separated from the shaft of the tripod. I tend to play the bass pretty aggressively, so it's almost unplayable until I can figure out how to fix it or get a new one.

Does anyone know why a tuner would strip like that? Does Carvin use inferior tuners? I'm not sure how old the bass is since I got it used. Maybe mid to late 90s?

2. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    The tuner probably has a loose screw holding the gear to the shaft. You might be able to fix it by tightening the screw.

3. arjune

arjune

Oct 8, 2006
    SF, CA
    Wow. Luck is not on your side, man. I feel for you though. Most of us can attest to those days where none of your gear manages to work, and the only replacement gear that you can find in time is either broken or on its way out.

4. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    I'm pretty sure we tried that. Didn't seem to do anything. I don't have it here with me unfortunately, I'll have to wait until tomorrow to look at it again.

5. SoLongJake

SoLongJake Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2007
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Its possible that the tuner is fine and your string is slipping. Unlikely, but it happened to me one time when i cut a string a little too short.

6. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    I've done that before.

At a Guitar Center.

Not my proudest moment.

7. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    I thought at first it could have been something like that, but the tuner wasn't even turning. It would tune down, but then wouldn't go back up.